Hen not sitting on eggs anymore

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. I put her back with the flock last night. Cracked open the eggs. Curiousity. 1 was not fertalized. One was long dead, and the other 2 had small embryos, but had died. Probably when she stopped sitting. So, I'm glad I tried it. I did learn something from the experience. And your right. Everything is a learning experience with chickens. I can't believe how much I have learned by trial and error. My niece and sister were so excited to see baby chicks hatch. Me too. Next time. One of the reasons I got buff orpingtons was cuz they go broody. So, it will happen again I'm sure. I have 5 of them.

Sorry you lost them :hugs

And you almost certainly will have more broodies! At this point, thanks to taking in unwanted year old hens from an acquaintance, nearly half my flock is made up of buff orp hens. All of them tried their hand at brooding this year. Two are co-parenting chicks right now and a third is on the nest. It has to be her second go this year because all of them already brooded once.

Hopefully next year. :). Do they ever go broody over winter? I hope that doesn't happen. It get too cold were I'm at. Hoping next sping.

Back
Top Bottom