Hen not sitting on eggs completely?

Quatelmon

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 5, 2013
Suffolk County, NY
I have a friend with a broody hen. She has been sitting on eggs for 5 days. She was separated from the other chickens in the coop 2 days ago. She has been sitting on the eggs, but they are not completely underneath her sometimes. She gets off the nest to eat, drink, and relieve herself. Question is....the eggs are not completely underneath her all of the time. She puffs out sometimes over them, but not all the time. Candleing yesterday showed some veining. What does a setting hen look like? Will the eggs be completely under her? Under her chest? All the way in front? Will they sometimes not be under her? Thanks in advance!

welcome-byc.gif

I'm no expert on broodies, though I have had a few. I usually couldn't see the eggs when the hen was brooding them. How many eggs is your hen sitting on? I understand that hens turn the eggs far more frequently than incubators do, so the eggs may be getting under her and warmed better than it seems.
idunno.gif

sounds like too many eggs. I don't put any more than 9 under a banty and 12 under a full sized hen. mark them if you are going to let her set while other hens are laying. only let her keep the marked ones.

I doesn't sound like she is full committed to the hatch or she may be gathering enough that she would consider sitting on. they will lay an egg one day leave the nest next day come back lay another until she has enough then will sit when she is good and ready. we have to believe the hen know more about what they are doing than we do.

Back
Top Bottom