Hen not walking, falling over.

Is the lameness in one leg or both? This sounds gross, but if you or your parent could insert a clean or gloved finger inside her vent 1-2 inches, to feel for a stuck egg, that would be helpful. Since she laid a soft egg recently, I would give her a 1/2 calcium tablet or Tums orally now. Has she been eating and drinking today? She needs to be separated in a dog crate or pen with food and water right now so the others will not hurt her. Hopefully, she is eggbound, but hopefully, it is not Mareks disease.
I was thinking about her being egg bound as well as a possible cause. I hope it’s not Mareks Disease either 😣

Is the lameness in one leg or both? This sounds gross, but if you or your parent could insert a clean or gloved finger inside her vent 1-2 inches, to feel for a stuck egg, that would be helpful. Since she laid a soft egg recently, I would give her a 1/2 calcium tablet or Tums orally now. Has she been eating and drinking today? She needs to be separated in a dog crate or pen with food and water right now so the others will not hurt her. Hopefully, she is eggbound, but hopefully, it is not Mareks disease.
I separated her in a box. This morning I took her out and now she's totally paralyzed. It is definitely mareks.

I was thinking about her being egg bound as well as a possible cause. I hope it’s not Mareks Disease either 😣
I have an Americana hen that is 8 months old and started to lay eggs. She is not walking around, and she is just standing, because if she does try to walk, then she'll fall over. She's been exhibiting symptoms since yesterday. No birds are exhibiting the same symptoms. She may be eggbound, as she has not laid an egg for a couple of days.
UPDATE. This morning I took her out and she was paralyzed. It is most definitely mareks.

I am sorry. Can she still move her wings and neck? Did you feel for a stuck egg? I would make sure that she can reach food and water, or you will need to feed her several times a day. If you lose her or put her down, it would be good to get a necdopsy and testing by your state vet. Here is a list of atate vets to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

The gizzard is the red thing shown below.
anatomy_WMDidactic_model_of_a_chicken-FMVZ_USP-29-1024x720.jpg

I am sorry. Can she still move her wings and neck? Did you feel for a stuck egg? I would make sure that she can reach food and water, or you will need to feed her several times a day. If you lose her or put her down, it would be good to get a necdopsy and testing by your state vet. Here is a list of atate vets to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
She can move her wings and neck. It is only her legs that she cannot move anymore.

Is it possible for a chicken to be paralyzed in the legs because of a vitamin deficiency?

Usually with a riboflavin deficiency, they can get curled under toes, and gradually may become lame. Paralysis can be caused by a stuck egg pressing against the sciatic leg nerves, a spinal injury, and Mareks disease.

Back
Top Bottom