Hen not walking, leg out in front of her, Please help.

shay20

Shay's Flock of Fun
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
in the wild, Mass
Ok i have another promblem, man what a week im going through.

My Black minorca bantam, Is not eating that great, i have to force feed her and give her water, she lays most of the day, when she lays, her one of her legs lies in front of her.

And her toes curled. she does not stand on it, its not broken becouse she does move it.

We noticed that some days she does get a bit more energy when we jack her up on a lot of baby food and water.

Any idea why this is. her poop is normal.

I did notice about a week and a half ago there was this weird looking mass of stufff in her cage looked like a ppoped out tumer or something.

I don't know what's wrong with your girl, but the leg thing got my attention. This is an old post from last summer but thought maybe you should read this to at least rule out Marek's. Goodluck with your girl!

The common form of Marek's causes paralysis and used to be called Range Paralysis. The classic posture when only one leg is affected is having that leg stick straight back. However, any paralysis can be an indication of Marek's. Mareks is not painful and if kept quiet and in a confined area with food and water in easy reach it may survive. Marek's is caused by a herpes virus and is everywhere in the environment where birds have been (including wild birds). It is found worldwide and no outside property is immune to having it. Most unvaccinated birds have it dormant in their system. In most birds the disease stays latent. Outbreaks can be triggered by stress, exposure to birds with active Marek's or seemingly nothing at all. Some viral strains are more potent than others. Do not give any of your birds away without warning the recipients if it turns out that your bird has Marek's. I would not take them to shows either. If you get any new birds, please make sure that they are vaccinated as day olds. There is a lot of bad information on the internet regarding Marek's. There are old wives tales that vaccinated birds are carriers of Marek's and shouldn't be put with uninfected birds. That is a bunch of crap. Here is a link to a previous post.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=39918

idunno.gif

Thank you i will read that post, but i have to tell you,
I ordered a batch of chicks a few months back and them vac for meriks and lost just about all of them, then i found out that the mereks vac. mekes there immune system week. and thats why they all died. none of the same syptoms though.

She is looking better today than yesterday,

im gonna go ahead and read up on that post.
thank you very much for the information.

OH oh guess what, we figured out it may that she was just dehadrated.
So we have to keep her up on a lot of fluids, man i really hope thats all.

thank you for the post.

We had a rooster that dislocated his hock joint on one of his legs. He had control over the movement of his hip but that was it. He held his leg out in front of him and off to the side when he sat down. It took him a month to start standing on it again. Now he can roost and scratch ALMOST normally.

Thats excatly what she was doing, she has controll over the hip she could move it, but now she has more control, she puts it ubder her now and stands more. She is comeing along good. So most likely thats what happend.

Back
Top Bottom