Hen or incubator?

Cornishboyraptor

Songster
Nov 27, 2020
I am thinking of raising ayam cermani and some golden sebright eggs but I've already tried to hatch 6 eggs of ac in a incubator but none of them hatched. I upgraded the incubator so it has a automatic turning. But I am thinking if it'll be better to try to get my hen (the one that killed the runt in my other post) broody and get her to try hatch them because she is the most dominant (possibly more than the rooster) ir shall I use the incubator?

What incubator are you using? Are you using a calibrated thermometer and hygrometer? Temp, humidity?
I prefer to use broodies, as they turn the eggs themselves, and manage the temp and humidity. The downside is there’s always a slight chance they might abandon the nest, and you can’t choose when they go broody. Personally, I prefer broody hens.

If they are shipped eggs you likely have a better chance of hatching them in an incubator. Shipping has a huge impact on the hatchability of the eggs, and sometimes their trip through the post has just been too rough.

I will not use my grumpy broodies to hatch. Only the girls that let me check on the eggs with no protest or pecking get to be mothers.

What incubator are you using? Are you using a calibrated thermometer and hygrometer? Temp, humidity?
I prefer to use broodies, as they turn the eggs themselves, and manage the temp and humidity. The downside is there’s always a slight chance they might abandon the nest, and you can’t choose when they go broody. Personally, I prefer broody hens.
It has automatic turning and temp but I have to do the humidity my self. I'm thinking of encouraging that chicken to go broody so she'll sit on the eggs.

You can't make a hen go broody....and if she's killed a bird before.......
She has killed another chick but it was a runt and unrelated to her but she is the most dominant so I'm thinking If I can encourage my hen to go broody by the time the eggs are back in season then her instincts will tell her to protect the chicks and she the most dominant so the others won't harm the new chicks hopefully.

Are you using a calibrated thermometer and hygrometer?
Ditto Dat^^^
It has automatic turning and temp but I have to do the humidity my self.
Many incubators are not accurate for temp, you need to test/calibrate those thermometers.
Here's some info on testing therms and hygros:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...incubator-thermometers-and-hygrometers.73634/

I'm thinking If I can encourage my hen to go broody
Almost impossible to do.
A bird is either broody or she's not, it's all about hormones.

Back
Top Bottom