Hen or Jake?

Mboltz12

Chirping
Aug 20, 2019
Alabama
Hello,
I have to Narragansett Turkeys and they are about 5 months old. I have been going back and forth about what their sex may be. I'm almost 100% positive on the hen which is the lighter color one. She has been showing nesting behaviors lately. The darker one I think is a Jake but just wanted to get others opinions!
Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 20200117_130450.jpg
    20200117_130450.jpg
    724.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 20200123_230559.jpg
    20200123_230559.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • 20200117_130515.jpg
    20200117_130515.jpg
    741.3 KB · Views: 31
Hello,
I have to Narragansett Turkeys and they are about 5 months old. I have been going back and forth about what their sex may be. I'm almost 100% positive on the hen which is the lighter color one. She has been showing nesting behaviors lately. The darker one I think is a Jake but just wanted to get others opinions!
Thanks guys!
Both are hens.

The one
What makes you think that? Out of curiosity?
The one I know is a hen, will rub on the other like she is trying to make what I think is the Jake try to breed her. He is about 2 weeks younger than her though. My roosters will try to breed the hen but not the other.

Try vent sexing . Gobble to it or make loud clucking noises. If it gobbles back and fluffs up a bit, it’s a male. For extra, put corn out first. The females will be more interested in eating the corn and the males will be more interested in you.

Does neither gobble? I'm pretty sure my males were making a racket by 5 months. I'm leaning towards both hens too. The males get long snoods and lots of curicles on the neck.

What makes you think that? Out of curiosity?
Neither of them have the caruncles or snood size that a tom will have. By 5 months old, a tom will have a snood that will extend well below the end of its beak. When the snood opf a tom is retracted, it will form a cone shape. Both have the "mohawk" of a hen while a tom would have a bald head.

Both have similar sized legs. A tom would have legs that are substantially heavier than those of a hen.

The differences that you are noticing are simply the differences between a dominant turkey versus one that is lower in the pecking order.

Does neither gobble? I'm pretty sure my males were making a racket by 5 months. I'm leaning towards both hens too. The males get long snoods and lots of curicles on the neck.
No gobbling yet. The one i was thinking was male does try to strut and size up my roosters. I know where I got the eggs from her males are slow progression like this. So I'm still hopeful but will just have to wait it out.

Thanks everyone. I'm still hopeful he is a male but i will still love them just the same. Just wanted to get others opinions. One is nesting and calm where as the other just looks different, acts different and has male tendencies but doesn't have alot of male features. The one I thought was male is alittle younger than the other also. We will just wait to see what happens.
Thanks guys! 😀

Back
Top Bottom