Hen or Roo. 14 weeks old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jenifry, Jul 23, 2013.

1. jenifry

jenifry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    [​IMG]
    She/He's Hard to get pics of, it wont stand still. See how the others have barely any comb?

[​IMG]
    I thought Hen, but are those pointy things saddle feathers? (I've never had a RIR roo. Just an Old English Game... so be nice. :)

[​IMG]
    The comb is HUGE, nearly 4 times the size of my others the same age. and WHAT are those long curly things coming out of it's tail. It's legs are almost twice the diameter of my others as well. I have 13 RIR pullets and ONE that looks like this. My others still look like pullets. This looks like a 2 year old hen with curly tail feathers.

Everyone says Hen, but I am seriously doubting them, and my sanity. HELP!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I'm gonna go with roo.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    That is a rooster.

4. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    x3

5. jenifry

jenifry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    THANK YOU ladies!! I was beginning to think I was going NUTs! My dad, Grandma and BFF all swore to me he was just a mature 14 week old hen!!
    My kids will be HAPPY, they want baby chicks next spring, and are not happy with store bought! Now, if only I can get a broody RIR, and keep him from crowing long enough to do it!

I am afraid I will have to butcher him when my Cornish/Rock are old enough to butcher because I am not supposed to have a Roo... think I can train him to keep his crop quiet??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by