Hen or Roo Buff Orp Chicks?!

NSWSNYDER

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 2, 2011
Menifee
I'm new to raising chickens and have 3 buff orp chicks. They are all supposed to be hens. I'm concerned because one of them has different feathers than the others. The one on the left has wings that are darker and shorter, and he/she also stands taller than the other two. Is this normal? I'm really hoping I don't have a rooster!
fl.gif
89983_birds.jpg

It's way too early to be sure, but keep an eye on that one. That's how my BO roo started out, less feathers and darker, and no tail.

I'm really hoping it's not a roo but something tells me it is. :-( We live in the suburbs and cannot have a rooster. How is the temperament of your BO rooster? Loud? Aggressive?

Firsty,
welcome-byc.gif

Cant really tell because the pic is a little blury and they are still young.Wait a little bit and then see and post some more pics.

Last edited:
I don't have a BO roo anymore. He crowed a lot. Anytime he saw anyone or anything, and quite a bit at 3 am. My neighbors were ok with that, but after he flogged my 18month old he went to freezer camp.
hide.gif
BO's are supposed to be pretty docile, so not sure if mine was just a bad egg or what.

You know he could be a day or 2 older than the other 2 BO chicks. It doesn't say where you got your chicks, but I recently got my chicks in pairs and almost every breed 1 is larger than the other or 1 developed wing feathers faster. Maybe yours have different parents. Who knows, but it is way too early to worry. Just think about what you might do if it is a roo.

Back
Top Bottom