Hen or Roo, novice edition

CrawlingForward

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 15, 2015
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but I want to get other opinions before determining which roos and hens get the freezer.

The bird in question is named Falcon and is a black Cochin, best I can tell. Falcon was my favorite as a chick, but has unfortunately turned out to be very aloof and flighty, even with the rest of the flock.

I originally went back and forth with my gues because there's no other birds that are similar in the flock to compare to. I have two other Cochins, but they're barred and much smaller. Of those two, one is clearly a male with a lighter coloring and drastically larger and redder comb ears and wattle.

Falcon also has those same features, but the feathers looked female for a while, but now look male. This is my first flock, though, so I'd like confirmation. (I'm pretty sure he's a rooster, at this point.)

Falcon is about 15 weeks old in these pictures, and 2 weeks in my avatar.

Other (Barred) Cochin

Female barred cochin

Last edited:
I'm trying to get practice at sexing, so I would not take my guess as 100% accurate but he sure does look all rooster with those bright red wattles and comb!!!

Yup, Falcon is a roo... 100% certain. And do try to sell him. Standard size Cochins are harder to come by, and I've sold my rarer roo's.

Middle Barred is a roo.

Last Barred is a pullet.

And you have some nice Red/Gold Sex Links...which are awesome layers.

LofMc

Yup, Falcon is a roo... 100% certain. And do try to sell him. Standard size Cochins are harder to come by, and I've sold my rarer roo's.

Middle Barred is a roo.

Last Barred is a pullet.

And you have some nice Red/Gold Sex Links...which are awesome layers.

LofMc
Agreed

Thanks for the confirmation, everyone!

I don't know why I didn't think of it till just now, but our new neighbors don't have a rooster for their flock at the moment. They inherited the two Brahmas from the previous owners who lost their rooster to a neighborhood dog right before they moved. (Major bummer. I loved that rooster. Believe it or not, his name was Cogburn, but he was named that *before* he lost an eye defending his girls from a hawk)

I'll have a chat with them and see if they're interested!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom