Hen or Roo? Please help!

susierw

In the Brooder
Dec 16, 2016
Western Australia
I brought this 'hen' silver laced Wyandotte yesterday..she's a bit bald which I've read is a sign of a roo? Apparently just came off heat so guessing she's about 4 weeks old! Let me know what you think! Thanks in advance :)

Based on the Wyandottes I did last year I would say you have a female there but 4 weeks is a little early to tell for sure.

Has the chick ever had feathers where she is bald right now? Each bird is individual and some do just feather out slower than others. Other chicks could have feather pecked her but it's not looking angry like some feather pecking can. What feed is the chick on?

I hope you're right! Not sure, as we only got her yesterday! Then I googled why she wouldn't have any body feathers and most websites say roosters develop feathers later than females! The chick is on 'chick starter crumble' and we mix water with it to make it into a mash! Thanks for the info :)

This baldy turned out to be a hen.

This baldy turned out to be a male. Note the difference in comb development.

I know you can barely see the bald shoulders (scapula) but you get the idea of how comb development can make a difference. However, there are breed (genetics) that can cause difference in feather placement and lack of comb development-such as rose comb or button comb breeds.

Oh wow that's a huge difference! Judging by that I'd say she's a girl, looks about the same age as your chicks! She only has one tiny little comb bump starting to grow now and it's a browny/blackish colour! What age did yours start to lay? Feels like it's going to be a long time she is so tiny!!

Oh wow that's a huge difference! Judging by that I'd say she's a girl, looks about the same age as your chicks! She only has one tiny little comb bump starting to grow now and it's a browny/blackish colour! What age did yours start to lay? Feels like it's going to be a long time she is so tiny!!
These are Jersey Giants from Cackle Hatchery. They started laying at 5 months. I sometimes wonder if the lack of fuzz/feathers at such a young age is the result of inbreeding such as a large flock where the roosters aren't removed and you have brothers and sisters reproducing. I don't have proof of inbreeding causes lack of feathering but I sometimes wonder......

Back
Top Bottom