Hen or Roo? White Silky Bantam.

TheCrochetChick

Songster
Jan 31, 2021
St. Augustine, FL
Hi everyone!

I got this sweet chicky at TSC. It is about 3 -3 1/2 weeks old. I am going to be devastated if it is a boy. I do have a place to give him to, but I just had to give away my favorite hen-turned-roo away already and i am so sad.

Any thoughts on this sweet chicks gender? This photo was from a few weeks ago. Better more up-to-date photos below. Her current name is SugarBear.

IMG_4745.jpg

IMG_4871.jpg

IMG_4873.jpg
IMG_4874.jpg
IMG_4876.jpg
IMG_4881.jpg
IMG_4883.jpg
IMG_4884.jpg

Sorry for all the pics. Thanks everyone!

SugarBear is adorable! 😊
No way to know this early.
Post again in a few months.
You can DNA test if you must know before then. There are some articles here on BYC that discuss ways to tell with silkies.

SugarBear is adorable! 😊
No way to know this early.
Post again in a few months.
You can DNA test if you must know before then. There are some articles here on BYC that discuss ways to tell with silkies.

Thak you, LadiesAndJane I really appreciate it.
I had a friend tell me that you can tell their gender by the curve of their wing feathers as babies and i got scared as i am not allowed to have roo's where i live.

Do you happen to know if silky roosters crow loud? I have heard they make a funny noise instead.

Thank again! 💜 💜 💜

Thak you, LadiesAndJane I really appreciate it.
I had a friend tell me that you can tell their gender by the curve of their wing feathers as babies and i got scared as i am not allowed to have roo's where i live.

Do you happen to know if silky roosters crow loud? I have heard they make a funny noise instead.

Thank again! 💜 💜 💜
You can not tell by wings or tails. My little silkie rooster does not crow too loud, but he does crow A LOT. 😊
You have plenty of time before that might happen though. So enjoy your little one and do not worry about it until you have to. Great you have a plan in place if SugarBear does end up being a cockerel.🥰

You can not tell by wings or tails. My little silkie rooster does not crow too loud, but he does crow A LOT. 😊
You have plenty of time before that might happen though. So enjoy your little one and do not worry about it until you have to. Great you have a plan in place if SugarBear does end up being a cockerel.🥰

Yep, that is what my friends did- crow a lot. Is that common for silkys? I am going tom enjoy him, but i am still kinda struggling with having to give my first roo away and being scared to give him away too. And i was super attached to him because he was the out of the first batch of chickens i ever had and had spent a ton of time with him. He was leashed trained and wore a sweater. I loved him. He was like a hen or a little puppy. So i am kinda scared to get atteaced to another because i took the first seperation so hard. :(

Yep, that is what my friends did- crow a lot. Is that common for silkys? I am going tom enjoy him, but i am still kinda struggling with having to give my first roo away and being scared to give him away too. And i was super attached to him because he was the out of the first batch of chickens i ever had and had spent a ton of time with him. He was leashed trained and wore a sweater. I loved him. He was like a hen or a little puppy. So i am kinda scared to get atteaced to another because i took the first seperation so hard. :(
I know it is hard. I think we have all been there. If you do not want to wait, I suggest having SugarBear DNA tested. You can pluck a few feathers and send them in.
I have DNA tested my silkies. Accuracy of the results is over 99%, but also depends on how good of a sample you collect. There are several companies out there that perform this service. I have used IQBird testing out of Florida with good results. It is about $12 to do it and takes about 10 days to get the results back.

WOW!!!! I had no idea that this could be done. Do i want to really know? :gig I guess i do. Thanks, i will def look into this- and the price is not bad either! Thank you!
I know it is hard. I think we have all been there. If you do not want to wait, I suggest having SugarBear DNA tested. You can pluck a few feathers and send them in.
I have DNA tested my silkies. Accuracy of the results is over 99%, but also depends on how good of a sample you collect. There are several companies out there that perform this service. I have used IQBird testing out of Florida with good results. It is about $12 to do it and takes about 10 days to get the results back.

Back
Top Bottom