Hen or roo

lilywall

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2017
Buff orpington, 3-4 weeks old any thoughts.
my second chick might be a little younger.

What you need to watch for is the color of the comb. Sometime in the next week or so, if you have any cockerels, you will see combs changing from light pink to yellow and then yellow-orange. By age six weeks, those boy combs will be red and you may see matching baby wattles under the tiny lower beak.

The pullets will keep their light pink combs until point of lay when they will then turn the same deep red as the boys.

You may have a cockerel. The fifth photo shows a somewhat yellowish comb. If it turn yellow-orange, you definitely have a boy.

What you need to watch for is the color of the comb. Sometime in the next week or so, if you have any cockerels, you will see combs changing from light pink to yellow and then yellow-orange. By age six weeks, those boy combs will be red and you may see matching baby wattles under the tiny lower beak.

The pullets will keep their light pink combs until point of lay when they will then turn the same deep red as the boys.

You may have a cockerel. The fifth photo shows a somewhat yellowish comb. If it turn yellow-orange, you definitely have a boy.
Thanks!

IMG_2385.JPG
IMG_2386.JPG
So I a trying to figure this out too... although I know they are only 3 weeks old. I have no idea which breed they are but they don't look similar....

Back
Top Bottom