Hen or roo?

CherG07

In the Brooder
May 30, 2019
White Settlement, Texas
FCDC8F93-0ADF-4B97-BD10-8FBA4786EBEC.jpeg
6BE2B2C2-67BE-491E-8629-E41C2957C0FF.jpeg
I woke up extremely early this morning...dogs needed to potty. As I was outside waiting for them to do their business I heard crowing from the aviary. I have 4 chickens. 2 Easter egger, a black sex link, and a cute little porcelain d’uccle. I think one of my eggers might be a roo. “Chloe”, as well as all others, is 5 months old. If it’s not her crowing it might be my d’uccle, Jinco. It was a soft and very quiet crow.

That top pic looks male....how old?

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

That top pic looks male....how old?

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

I said 5 months but I did the math and they won’t be 5 months till the end of September.

Oops, sorry, missed that part of your post.

Yup!
No worries :) he’s a big beautiful boy. His temperament is just right too. He loves coming up to me and letting me scratch his neck and ears. After I get one side he cocks his head to the other side and coos till I get the other ear. He’s the only chicken we have that stays still for petting. He’s a little bossy toward the other 3. Kind of puffs his wings out and sprints at them. No pecking though. I’m really not sure why he does it lol. If he is really a he then I won’t be able to keep him :(.... unless his crowing stays quiet! I know he’s an EE but those colors :drool I want his genes in some chicks. With a family of 7 I’m going to need more than 3 hens especially since Jinco is going to lay tiny eggs.

Back
Top Bottom