Hen or Roo

lilchickenz

Songster
10 Years
Jul 21, 2013
NWL Michigan
Two photos of two different chicks, siblings hatched at the same time. They are a month old. The one on the top has a very red comb already. Sorry it's hard to get a good image, they move so fast, but it does look a lot more red than the pic shows and the comb is also larger than the ones that still have small yellow ones . The one on the bottom has a yellow comb the way it was when it hatched and it's still small. Does the larger red comb this early indicate it might be a roo or is it just natural variation regardless of sex? These are rhode island red chicks. I have also seen a couple of them with the more red combs fighting. They stretch their necks up, bump chests, flap up and scratch with feet. I never saw my girl chicks from my previous flock doing that.

HenorRoo.jpg

Here he is again. He's fighting with another of them. The other one has also tried to crow yesterday. These birds aren't even 2 months old! Can anyone recommend a good sharp knife or ax? I may need to dispatch these birds sooner than expected.
20200924_134834.jpg

I ordered a boning knife. I think it's similar to a filet knife, should be as sharp at least. I hope it's sharp enough to take the whole head off at once.

Back
Top Bottom