Hen or Roo?

smpringle

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2021
This black lavender split Orpington is 12 weeks old and supposed to be a hen. She’s the biggest and definite leader of the flock. She puffs up her neck a lot at the other chickens but no crowing. Are those saddle feathers on her back side or too rounded? Still learning here. Thanks.

Attachments

• F0E0A0DF-B324-46DB-B058-B16FD82FEAB3.jpeg
    F0E0A0DF-B324-46DB-B058-B16FD82FEAB3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
This black lavender split Orpington is 12 weeks old and supposed to be a hen. She’s the biggest and definite leader of the flock. She puffs up her neck a lot at the other chickens but no crowing. Are those saddle feathers on her back side or too rounded? Still learning here. Thanks.
Pullet! There are no wattles on her!🤣🤣

She's a pullet but not an Orpington. She appears to be an Olive Egger. On the side note, a bird that's black split to lavender would appear black, there isn't a difference in appearance between one and a black bird, just that it carries a hidden copy of the lavender gene!
Ok, wow, thanks!! When we bought our chicks we had an olive egger and a black lavender split as part of the group. We mixed up the two chicks and thought the black one was the Easter/olive egger. She ended up dying at 5 weeks….vet thinks she broke her back in the brooder…couldn’t stand up, couldn’t get to food or water on her own even after separating her so we had to euthanize. We were so sad to lose her but also sad to lose the one we thought would lay a different colored egg. Thanks for clarifying that for me!!

Ok, wow, thanks!! When we bought our chicks we had an olive egger and a black lavender split as part of the group. We mixed up the two chicks and thought the black one was the Easter/olive egger. She ended up dying at 5 weeks….vet thinks she broke her back in the brooder…couldn’t stand up, couldn’t get to food or water on her own even after separating her so we had to euthanize. We were so sad to lose her but also sad to lose the one we thought would lay a different colored egg. Thanks for clarifying that for me!!
I'm sorry for your loss :( Sounds like you cared for her a lot. Hopefully you get to look forward to some pretty eggs though!

Back
Top Bottom