Hen or roo?

Just want to jump in on the topic and see what you all think.

This bird has never crowed. No spurs. And head of a hen.

However. Look at the feathers. I was told when I got it a month ago it was a hen. But as it’s grown up looking like a rooster. Thoughts?

Attachments

• FC7A3881-E8B7-4C66-92E9-579143DAE421.jpeg
    FC7A3881-E8B7-4C66-92E9-579143DAE421.jpeg
    805.7 KB · Views: 1

However. Look at the feathers. I was told when I got it a month ago it was a hen. But as it’s grown up looking like a rooster. Thoughts?
Cockerel!

Definitely a roo, saddle feathers give it away

Looks like a rooster head to me. The comb is blackish so doesn’t look red but it’s pretty big pea comb. And it has gold leakage on the head and hackles. I say rooster.

That bird is 100% a male. Do you have another rooster? Sometimes the submissive one won’t crow if there’s a more dominant one. Also it could still be young. I’ve heard of some not crowing until over a year and I personally had one wait 6+ months. Others were crowing in the brooder. So it all depends on the individual. But there’s no doubt in my mind that’s a male.

That bird is 100% a male. Do you have another rooster? Sometimes the submissive one won’t crow if there’s a more dominant one. Also it could still be young. I’ve heard of some not crowing until over a year and I personally had one wait 6+ months. Others were crowing in the brooder. So it all depends on the individual. But there’s no doubt in my mind that’s a male.
This would be the only rooster. The rest are no question hens.

Back
Top Bottom