Hen or Roo??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by saltnprepper, Jan 30, 2012.

1. saltnprepper

saltnprepper Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a blue lace red wyandotte and all the chicks I got were supposed to guaranteed pullets. I noticed how thick the legs on the wyandotte are compared to the chickens and she is larger and bossy! Then I started reading on here and now Im worried I have a roo. Can anyone please put my mind at ease. Thanks

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I have heard wyandottes can be bossy. Are they all the same age? What breed are the other chickens? Doesn't look like a roo... How old are they all?

3. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

it looks pullet. what has me concerned is the all red coloring on the top of the wing. it could be a roo. how old is it

4. saltnprepper

By what the chicken guy told me they should be about 12-13 weeks. The others are ameracunas (sp)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  5. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

im ganna say girl. but keep an eye on her. just in case she is a he

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like a cockerel by wing color and breast

7. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    I think its a girl. It should be just over 3 months if its 12-14 weeks and based on comb development and feather pattern i'd think it'd look more rooish by now if it were a boy.

1 person likes this.
  8. saltnprepper

I just got an email back from our Chicken Guy he will exchange for a pullet if she turns out to be a he and he will keep him not butcher him. lol I am not quite able to detach for meat birds, yet.

9. saltnprepper

Update... I sent him the pics and the video and he says 100% pullet. I believe him, he seems to really take care of and know his flock. Very nice guy. I just like honest business people.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Looks like a pullet to me. Keep in mind in any flock, someone has to be the boss! And combs will get larger and redder as the hen reaches maturity.

It's nice to hear your're doing business with a stand-up type person. One reads about so many shady chicken deals on this board they start to sound like the norm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by