Hen or ROO

Some of the folks (like me) that are saying that the EEs are roos may be sayin' that because mixed breed roos frequently have a red leakage on their wings. This is where some red colored feathers show up on an otherwise solid light-colored wing. These guys both look like they have red colored feathers on their wings=roo.

I agree, that has been my experience. Sorry but all Roos.

I thought they were too red but I am not very good at the hen vs Roo thing. i almost think the place by here that sells straight runs dumps the culls from the pullets in there and so they are 90% roo. Can't prove it. I wanted a roo to go with my Araucana but I can't even find a true Araucana so I was taking a shot since I lost my girls mate way back. The SLW I have one Hen so roo is good. I want to separate the pairs and get some fertilized eggs next spring. For the winter I may just have roosters in a separate pen! I soo wanted the #3 EE to be a hen it's so pretty and they would make a lovely pair!
That and if they are both roos neither has a mate now. I don't want a bunch of Mutt chickens lol. Thanks everyone!!!

Hey just a funny. WE had this one rooster who never crowed. A couple years went by and nothing. He was gorgeous and never fought so we kept him. All the while we kept getting these white eggs I couldn't explain since all our hens should lay brown ones. I met my current husband and he loved that we had chickens and he got hooked.
He ran out bought an incubator and such and dove in. collected all my eggs for days and kept just adding eggs to the bator. He had 50 or so. took out the one not doing anything and kept adding more (NEWBIE LOL) . Still nothing not one good egg after 70 or so.
Reason was we had no rooster!! LOL My beautiful ROOSTER (S) I have two now. Are Brown leghorns!! They really could pass for roosters!

Some of the folks (like me) that are saying that the EEs are roos may be sayin' that because mixed breed roos frequently have a red leakage on their wings. This is where some red colored feathers show up on an otherwise solid light-colored wing. These guys both look like they have red colored feathers on their wings=roo.
This.

You will never see hens colored like that. Those are roo colored birds. Oh, and the red combs
big_smile.png

I got so confused today. Went to put up my birds and found a strange egg. Since the #3 bird has crowed....#1 layed the egg!!! Second time a supposed rooster has layed eggs at my house. Too cool. I have a nicely matched pair of EE's The egg is a very pale, but not white egg. Maybe the tiniest touch of rose color. Big egg for a new layer! Will have to get new pictures of them
It's so odd that they look so much alike except one crows and the other lays eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom