Hen or Roo?

kayavara

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 1, 2014
We were given this chicken about 2 months ago and told it was a hen. Now that she/he is much larger than the other hens now. . We are wondering if we may have a rooster. Sorry for repeating the age old question...newbies here

Our guesstimate is 5 months or less. We've had the chicken for 2 months now.

I don't know, those are some pretty big comb and wattles, but don't know the breed(could be a mixed mutt) and I don't see any obvious pointed hackle or sickle feathers tho the pics are not optimal for that.

Try to get some pics with your back to the sun, close ups of hackle and saddle and front on view of it's face.

Is that flopped over straight comb? If it is, it could have some leghorn in it which could indicate a pullet as they have large wattlage and flopped over straight combs.

I will try to get better pics. I'm sure it's a mix or mutt of some kind. I couldn't begin to tell you the breed as we are such novices.

This is a tricky one. My first thought was absolute cockerel......but looking closer I'm not so sure. For your sake I hope it's a hen! Maybe post pics again in a few more weeks?

Thanks everyone. I took a couple of more pics but we may have to just wait it out. Any idea of the breeds/mix?

It's looking more feminine in these pics, to me.
idunno.gif

I'm not sure it's an AxB mix, I think there may be more breeds than just two.

Straight combs seem to be recessive, so both parents should have been straight combed breeds
White skin lends itself to Sussex, Marans or Orpington.
Lightly feathered legs lend themselves to Marans, also. There are several other breeds with feathered legs, but none very common with this body type, comb and four toes, clean faced. So, I guess one parent could be a Marans or Marans mix. Other than that........

Back
Top Bottom