1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen or Roo?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tomomi M, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Would it be possible for anybody here to tell if my chicks are hens or roosters by pictures? I am really really hoping all are hens, especially Marans because of their egg shell color, but I started doubting one of my Marans (Smokey to be exact) is a roo...

Thank you!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

At least going by these photos, I think all of your birds (including the Marans) are pullets.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. I think that all of your birds are pullets. You have a nice little flock!

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

6. What a relief to find out they are all pullets!!!

I wasn't sure one of our Silkies is a hen or roo, I named her Sara Lee to drop one of the names once I find out the sex, but looks like she is going to keep "Sara". Of course, it is hard to tell Silkies anyway. Smokey, Marans, started developing her comb so large, I was worried. But when I pet her, she drops her back flat so I thought she could be a hen. She comes to greet me every time I go out there.

First time raising chickens from scratch and had no idea what to expect from roosters, and worried about our relationship with our neighbors, so it's a great relief to know that they are all pullets. We shall welcome their first egg soon. Thank you all so much!

Tomomi

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

You have all lovely pullets!!

8. Thank you! I love it here! Everyone is so nice and helpful!

9. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock. I love your Shih Tzu avatars. Silkies are very difficult to sex before 4-5 mos. of age and sometimes not till they crow or lay eggs. If you could put up photos of the silkies facing forward so the comb is showing - it would be of help.

There are several silkie threads on BYC, the one I like best is "Silkie thread," you could post your photos there to get opinions from silkie breeders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by