Hen or Roo?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lothomson, Jan 5, 2015.

1. lothomson

lothomson Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    Hey, this is my first time on BYC.
    Anyways, my 23-24 week old Silver Laced Wyandotte seems to be a hen but certainly has the sass and manners of a rooster. Both my SLWs have not laid eggs yet. She is much larger than my other pullet and I believe I caught her crowing a few minutes ago. She is also dominant and seems to challenge me from time to time by fluffing up the feathers on her head and flapping her wings. She also refuses to allow me to pick her up unless she is in the perfect position and if I only hold her for about 5 seconds.

I've been at that point where I'm like: "I'm totally sure that she is well a SHE.", now I have been a little bit worried about my judgement. After all, these are my first chickens...

Any advice on how to tell (her?) gender will be very helpful.

[​IMG]Thanks

Pictures of my SLW:
    -First pic with both chickens: she is the bigger one on the left. (she?)
    -Second pic with both chickens: she is the taller one on the right. (she?)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Rooster.(leaning)
    She has a cockerals attitude,large combing wabbles,etc.
    Now,I will say dominant hens do have rooster alikes.Lots of times,hens consider you a flock member.So shell be aggressive.

I see no saddle feathering rooster likes,but lead hens often our protective.
    Normally roosters have large spurs,and have long curling tail feathering.

She does have a dark cherry red combing ETC.

ThePRfab

3. lothomson

Jan 2, 2015
    Thank you so much. [​IMG]

Do you know when I will know for sure that she is a roo (if she is)? I mean I guess I'll know if she doesn't lay eggs...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I actually think that is a hen. Her saddle feathers and tail feathers are rounded, her comb is large and red meaning she is close to laying. Pullets at this age generally act bossy especially if they are at the top of the pecking order and there is no rooster around. Is she squatting at all? Singing? If so, she is very close to laying eggs.

I would also ask here
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

5. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014

Yeah

6. dragon30276

dragon30276 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2014
    Senoia, GA
    [​IMG] I know its frustrating. I had one I thought was a hen until it was too late. He had already been made part of the family. I like the crowing though.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3, looks like a pullet close to laying.

8. lothomson

Jan 2, 2015
    Hi, thank you for the warm welcome.
    Once when I picked (her?) up she seemed uncomfortable so I put her down and she sort or just sat there in an uncomfortable-looking position. I was actually worried for her health and was curious if she was unhappy or uncomfortable because she was close to laying. I also could have mistook "crowing" for "singing", but I'm just not sure. She and my other SLW are the same age except that my other SLW (joy) is much smaller and her comb is small and pink...

Oh, I have a question about hens when they get close to laying... do they get a red rash on their legs+in between feet?
    I heard that roos get this when they are hormonal...

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Crowing has a very distinct sound. A literal cock-a-doodle-do. Whereas singing almost sounds like they are complaining loudly about something. Also, announcing is a sound all hens make before and after they lay eggs. This sounds a lot like a crow.

As for the rash, that doesn't sound normal.

10. lothomson

Jan 2, 2015
    Hmmm... Thank you, I will be sure to see if she is "crowing" or "singing".

I went to a bunch of websites about the rash and it said it was normal for roosters.. (I specifically looked up this rash for SLWs)
    Both of my hens have this light pink-red rash (not bumpy but just a pigment in their legs), it started about 2 weeks ago. Maybe I should get it checked out just to be safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by