Hen or rooster destroyed chick?

daschroeder

Chirping
Feb 6, 2017
I have a bantam Cochin hen that went broody about 4 weeks ago. I ended up letting her have two eggs and gave her some "fake eggs" to keep her happy. She was in the coop with the rooster and three other bantams. When about 23 days had gone by I thought I would take away the eggs and try to break her of her broodiness. When I went to get the eggs, it looked like one had pipped so I left her there. When I went back several hours later to see what was going on, she was out of the nest box and on the floor with new eggs the other hens had laid. The eggs were marked so thee was no chicks, or any sign of the marked eggs. She was still broody. What do you think happened? When I cleaned the coop I could not find any trace of the eggs she had been sitting on. Now I have her in a cage, trying to break her broodiness.
Thanks for any help you can give.

It is likely that the flockmates killed and ate the chick. This is why I prefer to isolate broody hens from the flock.

Thanks for the reply. That is what I thought must have happened. I tried putting her by herself early in the bloody stage but she had such a it I put her back in the nesting box.

Yep, I'm sure they killed and ate. I never ever leave them with the flock..that will happen every time..if they have a fit, let them. Just leave them alone, they will settle or not, but never leave them in the coop. Just have an incubator ready. You can also move her at around day 18, they are fully in brood mode and usually settle quickly.

Yep, I'm sure they killed and ate. I never ever leave them with the flock..that will happen every time..if they have a fit, let them. Just leave them alone, they will settle or not, but never leave them in the coop. Just have an incubator ready. You can also move her at around day 18, they are fully in brood mode and usually settle quickly.

That is good advice. I will keep it in mind. I have her "broke" from her broodiness for now. I would rather not hatch chicks. If I want more I would prefer sexed bantams to avoid having to deal with unwanted tipsters.

Back
Top Bottom