1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen or Rooster??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by JordanNicole, Jul 18, 2016.

1. JordanNicole

JordanNicole New Egg

Jul 13, 2016
    Kentucky
    So, when I separated my hen from the roosters I put her with my runt, because the roosters wouldn't leave her, or my runt alone. Then my hen started laying eggs a couple days later. Now the last two days we have gotten TWO eggs a day. When my chickens were first starting to grow and I could clearly tell the difference between a hen and a rooster, I thought for sure the runt (Bandit) was a hen. IT'S chest kind of pokes out and it didn't have a comb like the other roosters did. Well a couple months after my roosters were practically full grown (Big combs and started to Cock-a-doodle-doo) Bandit started to grow a comb. To my surprise, I had yet, another rooster. Well now I'm beginning to wonder if maybe (just maybe) Bandit might be a hen who started to lay eggs too. Not only because thats what I really want considering I only got one hen out of the 6 chickens I bought, but because it seems VERY crazy to me that my Hen has laid TWO eggs the past TWO days. and they're good eggs with a hard shell. One is just a LITTLE smaller than the other. I attached some pictures so maybe you guys could help me solve my delima. Please let me know what you think!!! (Also, Bandit has yet to Cock-a-doodle-doo.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    That is a female. The red comb indicates that she is mature and developed enough to start laying.

3. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    And she's not a runt, she's an Old English Game bantam. They are naturally small.

4. JordanNicole

JordanNicole New Egg

Jul 13, 2016
    Kentucky
    [​IMG]

Do you mind me asking how you can tell? I was just thinking Bandit was a rooster because my Hen's comb is so much smaller. And thank you for informing me that SHE is not a runt and a female! :) This is my first flock of chickens EVER. I just bought 6 of the bantams and thought they were all the same breed.

Thank you so much!

5. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Different breeds, different comb types. The Sebright has a rose comb (flat and wedge shaped), Old English has a single comb (tall with spikes). Bantam is a size classification, not a specific breed. Many, many breeds are available in bantam size.
    The Old English pullet has female specific coloring, and she lacks male hackle and saddle feathers.

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    OEGB and Sebright pullets. If you have any other questions concerning breed/gender, post in the "What Breed Or Gender Is This?" section.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by