Hen or rooster

hegmat

Hatching
Jul 19, 2016
Hello all,

I have 12 hens, 6 (3 blk sex link and 3 red sex link ) that are around 16 weeks old, 5 (white leghorns) and 1 (RIR) that are around 11 weeks old. Yesterday I went onto my back porch and all the girls were standing at the gate of the chicken yard. All of the sudden, I heard a cock-a-doodle-doo over and over again! Um, hens aren't supposed to crow. I went to give them some veggies to eat and noticed one of them has a much redder face and dark green feathers on the tail that arch. Here is a pic of the one I suspect may be a rooster. I read that sometimes hens can take on the appearance and position of a rooster. Is this a hen or a rooster? I suspect it is the 11 week old RIR bc all the others are red or blk sex links and look completely different. It also has a few dark green feathers at the base of its neck. What are your thoughts??

He is most definitely a cockerel. I researched them all day and all signs point to rooster. He even crowed right inn front of me this evening. I'm excited to see him all grown up. :)

He is most definitely a cockerel. I researched them all day and all signs point to rooster. He even crowed right inn front of me this evening. I'm excited to see him all grown up.
smile.png
And I'm excited for you! Roosters are gorgeous creatures.
love.gif

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom