Hen or rooster?

Chickenylady

In the Brooder
Oct 31, 2018
Bought what I thought was 3 pullets...have had them about a week (first night home from my friends house was last night!!)
But this one has sprouted a really pretty (but a little out of the ordinary) tail fearher that has made me start questioning her/his gender. Her comb does seem to be a little more pronounced than the others but that's where the differences stop.

They’re speckled sussex, born mid June.

Here is the chicken in question...
501DA29D-55E1-4CDC-8567-8BCEB42DD103.jpeg E52B6145-4ECB-4EDB-8B69-38C04379AB6D.jpeg

Attachments

• B8550ACE-813C-4062-A7D5-3F791BD31D1C.jpeg
    B8550ACE-813C-4062-A7D5-3F791BD31D1C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
I'm going to say pullet. Having been born mid June, I would expect to see more comb and male specific feathers, like the saddle feathers. Speckled sussex can have white feathers like that all over. My speckled sussex hens head and neck is all white like a bald eagle and has several white tail feathers. Just part of the breed. She may be getting close to lay if its a bit more pronounce.

I’m hoping she is in fact a she! Lol she is also the biggest of the 3 so maybe that has something to do with it!

I'm going to say pullet. Having been born mid June, I would expect to see more comb and male specific feathers, like the saddle feathers. Speckled sussex can have white feathers like that all over. My speckled sussex hens head and neck is all white like a bald eagle and has several white tail feathers. Just part of the breed. She may be getting close to lay if its a bit more pronounce.[/Q

Back
Top Bottom