Hen or rooster?

I'm thinking pullet because it seems to have a femininely shaped head. I would also think the wattles and comb would be larger at that age. But it could possibly be a cockerel.

Here’s some better photos. And a video. In the last part of the video you see why I think it’s a rooster. Acts aggressive. I’ve never seen a chicken drink like that either haha.

0524D213-1159-450E-B4A1-D3A0219B0E68.jpeg
4B7EBAE1-456B-4585-99F2-F01074113A1B.jpeg
7C311749-6262-417A-9823-CB2612D75BAF.jpeg
9A18D435-D21A-4F1B-9A73-C3FF771B8CC1.jpeg

You said its a mix; that you have a Delaware and a RIR Rooster. Does that mean your Delaware is a hen? If so... You have a home made red sex link cockerel.

Correct. Delaware is the hen. I had no idea that’s how you get red sex link chickens.

Correct. Delaware is the hen. I had no idea that’s how you get red sex link chickens.
red sex links are created by putting a red rooster over a white hen. The chicks will come out with their down light yellow for the cockerels and pinkish orange for the pullets. As they feather in, the cockerels will be white with some red and the pullets will be red with white wing and tail feathers. And since you have a Delaware, they could have barring on the neck... and I believe only on the cockerels.

I also have a black Australorp and RIR hens. So if any of those come out white it’s save to assume it’s a rooster?

I also have a black Australorp and RIR hens. So if any of those come out white it’s save to assume it’s a rooster?
Nope.... you only would get that result with the red over the white.
Black sex links are created with a red rooster over a barred hen, like a barred rock. BR hens only carry one copy of the barring gene and can only pass it on to their sons. Thus, the females will be all black at hatch, and the males will have a white head spot indicative of the barring gene.

Back
Top Bottom