Hen or rooster?

Elgorham

Chirping
Jun 12, 2020
Hi everyone! Yes need help once again. I have 6, 11 week old chickens, 2 seem to be confirmed roosters. I’m not opposed to keeping one as we live in a country neighborhood, but I’m trying to determine exactly how many are roosters, and there is one more who seems “iffy”. From my extremely limited experience I thought our 2 black chickens were black Star hens, Eva and Holly. Holly is the chicken in question. Eva has black legs, with rust colored chest feathers, and holly is a bit smaller, (which I know the rooster would generally be larger so that doesn’t make sense) but also has rust colored chest feathers just not as many. Also one random white spot under the wing. Her tail though is what always makes me wonder! Seems to be showing that distinct rooster tail. Do some hens have that? Her comb isn’t very defined at all, even compared to Eva whose is bigger. And with our barred rock who turned out to be a rooster his is red and large already at same age. So. Many. Possibilities. I have nothing against roosters, just having some trouble going from 6 and having to get rid of some. Seems like every day another one might be a rooster. I’m shaking my fist at the “helpers” at our farm store that gave these cHicks to my husband who said he wanted to raise chickens for eggs. 😂Thank you for the help! In the photo with both, Eva Is on the left and holly they right. The others are of holly. We’ve already changed Penelope to Penne, and Charlotte to Charlie 😂. Give me some good news 🤞🏻
2AD81A50-4063-4CBC-8BE0-7908D37A9BFB.jpeg
DDF8CD25-E185-404C-AA12-62E78597ADB6.jpeg
8A1FD9D5-2A8A-4D6E-993D-3D96823FA610.jpeg

Hi everyone! Yes need help once again. I have 6, 11 week old chickens, 2 seem to be confirmed roosters. I’m not opposed to keeping one as we live in a country neighborhood, but I’m trying to determine exactly how many are roosters, and there is one more who seems “iffy”. From my extremely limited experience I thought our 2 black chickens were black Star hens, Eva and Holly. Holly is the chicken in question. Eva has black legs, with rust colored chest feathers, and holly is a bit smaller, (which I know the rooster would generally be larger so that doesn’t make sense) but also has rust colored chest feathers just not as many. Also one random white spot under the wing. Her tail though is what always makes me wonder! Seems to be showing that distinct rooster tail. Do some hens have that? Her comb isn’t very defined at all, even compared to Eva whose is bigger. And with our barred rock who turned out to be a rooster his is red and large already at same age. So. Many. Possibilities. I have nothing against roosters, just having some trouble going from 6 and having to get rid of some. Seems like every day another one might be a rooster. I’m shaking my fist at the “helpers” at our farm store that gave these cHicks to my husband who said he wanted to raise chickens for eggs. 😂Thank you for the help! In the photo with both, Eva Is on the left and holly they right. The others are of holly. We’ve already changed Penelope to Penne, and Charlotte to Charlie 😂. Give me some good news 🤞🏻View attachment 2233739View attachment 2233741View attachment 2233743

I know that black star roosters would be barred and you could easily see that, so I’m wondering if maybe it’s a rooster of a different breed?

The black chickens are both girls.
When looking at feathers to help determine the sex of a chicken, you're not looking at the actual tail feathers, but the saddle feathers at the base of a tail. A rooster's will be long and pointy, and a hen's will be short and round.
hen and roo.jpg

Hi everyone! Yes need help once again. I have 6, 11 week old chickens, 2 seem to be confirmed roosters. I’m not opposed to keeping one as we live in a country neighborhood, but I’m trying to determine exactly how many are roosters, and there is one more who seems “iffy”. From my extremely limited experience I thought our 2 black chickens were black Star hens, Eva and Holly. Holly is the chicken in question. Eva has black legs, with rust colored chest feathers, and holly is a bit smaller, (which I know the rooster would generally be larger so that doesn’t make sense) but also has rust colored chest feathers just not as many. Also one random white spot under the wing. Her tail though is what always makes me wonder! Seems to be showing that distinct rooster tail. Do some hens have that? Her comb isn’t very defined at all, even compared to Eva whose is bigger. And with our barred rock who turned out to be a rooster his is red and large already at same age. So. Many. Possibilities. I have nothing against roosters, just having some trouble going from 6 and having to get rid of some. Seems like every day another one might be a rooster. I’m shaking my fist at the “helpers” at our farm store that gave these cHicks to my husband who said he wanted to raise chickens for eggs. 😂Thank you for the help! In the photo with both, Eva Is on the left and holly they right. The others are of holly. We’ve already changed Penelope to Penne, and Charlotte to Charlie 😂. Give me some good news 🤞🏻View attachment 2233739View attachment 2233741View attachment 2233743
I had a hen with a tail that looked similar when she was younger, it worried me since I too though roo. However when she had a molt before laying and her tail became round.
29A9C393-9D1F-428E-8F04-183726AC7875.jpeg
642EE026-F6CD-4B06-ADD1-82FE7E2DEB6E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom