Hen or Rooster?

focusonfarming

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 30, 2013
Placerville CA
Hello,

I purchased two Buff Orpington Hens supposedly, along with some other breeds, however, the bird in question as a chick looked much more scrawny and its adult feathers were much slower to grow in. Now that they are 6 months old and somewhat full grown, the one I am wondering about has black tail feathers and has a darker shade of brown in color compared to the other hen I have of the same breed
. Tail feathers of bird in question. Black vs. white of hen in bottom pic
The Bird in question, face pic
This is the Hen or so I believe

IS THIS A HEN OR A ROOSTER OR A CHICKEN OF A DIFFERENT BREED MAYBE

Thanks in advance

Both are hens. The first one simply has a kink to her tail feathers. Not the same as the curved rooster tail feathers which are not the actual tail feathers. The roo tail feathers are actually the feathers right by the actual tail feathers, only much longer than the same feathers on hens.

They are not orpingtons. Was going to say production reds but the second hen has blue on tail.. if they came from same place, would guess mixed breed consisting of production red, red sex link and something else to contribute the blue color.

They will be good layers, whatever they are.

Thank you all for the information, as it has been very helpful. I am excited to know that they are both hens (I didn't want to have to get rid of a rooster). Its also interesting to know that I somehow ended up with two different chickens than what I bought. Either way I am happy and glad to know the breed.

Thanks again

Happens more often than you think. Chicks get switched around in the wrong bins at the feed store.. private sellers just saying whatever they think will help make a sale or.....

At least you lucked out on two nice girls!

I agree with Kev, all hens, not orpingtons. My connection's too slow to enlarge the pics, but they look like generic red birds to me. The face shot hen is laying or pretty close.

Back
Top Bottom