Hen or Rooster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don't grab your bird's face, all that will tell you is wether or not you have a bird that has an easy going personality, or a bird that is thinking "Hey you big jerk, let go of my face". It has nothing to do with gender.

Well,don't diss something you have never tried,it works I've done it for years and never been wrong.I know it sounds odd but it's never failed me.

Quote:
I'm not dissing anything, I'm just stating biological fact. Animals do not struggle against entrapment based on gender. If they did the species would lose all it's females in a day. Not to mention, if your method worked, hatcheries and the chicken industry wouldn't waste billions of dollars in researching methods of gender ID.

Well,don't diss something you have never tried,it works I've done it for years and never been wrong.I know it sounds odd but it's never failed me.

Maybe it's never failed you, but it has no scientific basis. Its the same sort of thing as holding up your wedding ring on a string and seeing which way it spins to see if you're pregnant with a boy or girl.

Trust me, I could go out there and grab my big rooster's beak and he wouldn't flinch. My white Leghorn hens, however, would freak out and try to kill me, even if they maimed themselves in the process.

At 8 weeks old, that bird is a male, no doubt. Crowing at that young age, that HUGE comb, no female is going to have either of those things at this age.

You have a rooster,I would bet money on it.You won't find it in a book or anything because it's an old wives tale,but if you will pinch(not hard)his/her beak and if it jerks away or pecks you,it's probably a rooster.It's called the temperament test.Hope it helps.I would love to hear what happens.
You know, as a woman, even a fairly conservative woman, I find these things just so offensive! Males always struggle, females are always passive. Same for the tale of letting them dangle from their head when they're young--males fight, females just lay there. So offensive!

I agree with Sunshine--it just depends on the animal. I could to than to any pet on my place, but none of my birds. And I have mostly hens............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom