Hen or Rooster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristeemorris

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 25, 2013

My Buff Orpington "hen" is 8 weeks old and has started crowing occasionally in the morning. How can I tell if "Sopia" is a rooster?

Please don't grab your bird's face, all that will tell you is wether or not you have a bird that has an easy going personality, or a bird that is thinking "Hey you big jerk, let go of my face". It has nothing to do with gender.

You have a rooster,I would bet money on it.You won't find it in a book or anything because it's an old wives tale,but if you will pinch(not hard)his/her beak and if it jerks away or pecks you,it's probably a rooster.It's called the temperament test.Hope it helps.I would love to hear what happens.
You know, as a woman, even a fairly conservative woman, I find these things just so offensive! Males always struggle, females are always passive. Same for the tale of letting them dangle from their head when they're young--males fight, females just lay there. So offensive!

I agree with Sunshine--it just depends on the animal. I could to than to any pet on my place, but none of my birds. And I have mostly hens............

You have a rooster,I would bet money on it.You won't find it in a book or anything because it's an old wives tale,but if you will pinch(not hard)his/her beak and if it jerks away or pecks you,it's probably a rooster.It's called the temperament test.Hope it helps.I would love to hear what happens.

Pinch the top and bottom of its beak.It's crowing which 9 out of 10 means it's rooster.Although there's always hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom