Hen or rooster

Browning2013

Chirping
6 Years
May 30, 2013
Perry County, Ohio
Was just given this young chicken and told it was a rooster. Lazy chicken coop on fb think it's a hen? Also, supposed to have golden comet in him.

BV3PHWJ.jpg

Focus on the sex not the golden comet thing. Some one on fb mentioned it looks like a rooster, red sexlink

Last edited:
Was just given this young chicken and told it was a rooster. Lazy chicken coop on fb think it's a hen? Also, supposed to have golden comet in him.

BV3PHWJ.jpg

Focus on the sex not the golden comet thing. Some one on fb mentioned it looks like a rooster, red sexlink
It's not a red sexlink rooster as red sexlink roo's are white; the hens are red (the genetic crossbreeding that make the boys come out white and the girls red).

Your bird looks like a typical red sexlink hen...if that is a large single comb. It should be getting close to laying as the comb is big and red.

You can see photos of sexlinks here: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

Also, sexlinks don't breed true as they are a hybrid cross. Breed another generation and the genes get tossed into the gene pool with a lot of options opening up so you won't see any clear line of any red sexlink.

Lady of McCamley

I think its a red sex link MIXED rooster. I have seen "chicken traders" sell red sex links or cinnamon queens as a rare Italian breed (even had a rooster that looked like the hens). But with the darker red shiny feathers coming in on its back, I'm going with rooster.

It's not a red sexlink rooster as red sexlink roo's are white; the hens are red (the genetic crossbreeding that make the boys come out white and the girls red).

Your bird looks like a typical red sexlink hen...if that is a large single comb. It should be getting close to laying as the comb is big and red.

You can see photos of sexlinks here: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

Also, sexlinks don't breed true as they are a hybrid cross. Breed another generation and the genes get tossed into the gene pool with a lot of options opening up so you won't see any clear line of any red sexlink.

Lady of McCamley

I think its a red sex link MIXED rooster. I have seen "chicken traders" sell red sex links or cinnamon queens as a rare Italian breed (even had a rooster that looked like the hens). But with the darker red shiny feathers coming in on its back, I'm going with rooster.
I hope you're right and it is a rooster. It stood out from it's siblings which were smaller and more hen looking

Back
Top Bottom