Hen panting, dizzy and passing out - HELP?

CassiaChick

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 24, 2012
My 4 month old Barred Rock hen has started getting dizzy and even passing out now and then. She also breathes heavy after coming to. Her eyes aren't running. She's eating and drinking fine. Her crop is fine. She will fall asleep when I hold her and she shivers a little. I've brought her inside, but she hasn't pooped yet, so I can't say what that looks like.

Does this ring any bells for anyone?

What does her abdomen feel like? When she passes out, is she just standing around, or are you holding her?

Thanks so much for replying. I actually finally got in touch with a friend in Ohio who has chickens and when I described what I'd noticed, including that while she LOOKS fluffy, she FEELS bony and then finally saw that she does have diarrhea, we figured it must be worms. I got a wormer (Wazine because it was all they had at TSC and I wanted something immediately) and have started her on it, but I'll hunt around until I find some Valbazen since I've since read that it's much better thought of.

I never did answer you, though - aside from feeling way too thin, what happens is that she's walking around seeming fine, then seems to get dizzy and wobbles to a sit. We thought we'd noticed this before, but weren't sure (we're newbies and still learning), then today she wobbled to a sit and passed out. I roused her quickly and she got up and even responded to some cracked corn, but then wobbled to a sit and passed out again. She hasn't passed out again that I've seen since I brought her in, but she's confined to the downstairs bath and not exerting herself. She is, however, passing lots of liquid and soft stool and eating and drinking like crazy.

Back
Top Bottom