Hen passed away, blue and bloated belly, weird intestines, yellow fluid in abdomen

The bluish skin on the abdomen sounds like ascites, which is possible with cancer, egg yolk peritonitis, fatty liver disease, and heart failure. The yellow inside is probably fat. The nodules on organs look possibly like cancer, Mareks, leukosis, possibly infection. I am no expert on necropsies. The state vet is the best person to get a diagnosis.
You should incinerate the chicken by starting a fire and burning the carcass not burying it. Please do not poke around in there because there may be diseases that the chicken has which can get transferred to you
You should be able to recover her body. Would just have to clean it up abit, & refrigerate.
Thank you so much for your help and guidance@MysteryChicken . When I pull organs out to reinspect and take pictures, do I out them back into the bag to send her for necropsy? Should I freeze her for necropsy or just refrigerate? Or should I just send her to the bag and freezer without reinspecting organs?

I am sorry if i sound stupid or ask questions, was terrified today that had courage to open her. Appreciate everyone helping here!!!

You should incinerate the chicken by starting a fire and burning the carcass not burying it. Please do not poke around in there because there may be diseases that the chicken has which can get transferred to you.
There are guidelines for doing intestinal investigations and composting the body under certain depth!

I am not asking if I can poke there or not, asking for help with understanding what that is and how to figure it out. Please dont flood this thread with irrelevant words.

Bodies that are sent for necropsy should not be frozen, only kept cold in a refrigerated or kept cold inna cooler. If it seemz to degraded, it might not be helpful. You could talk to the state vet about what has taken place so far, and go from there. You could always wait if another bird becomes ill or dies, and send that one for a necropsy to see if there is something contagious going on. Here is a list of state vets to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Thank you so much for your help and guidance@MysteryChicken . When I pull organs out to reinspect and take pictures, do I out them back into the bag to send her for necropsy? Should I freeze her for necropsy or just refrigerate? Or should I just send her to the bag and freezer without reinspecting organs?

I am sorry if i sound stupid or ask questions, was terrified today that had courage to open her. Appreciate everyone helping here!!!
Or, you can just leave her organs be, & let the lab examine them thoroughly.
I know that the bodies aren't supposed to be frozen, just kept cold.

If you go about exploring more, it would be a good idea to keep the organs you removed, & keep them with the body so they can also be examined.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Contact your state lab to see if they think they can perform any diagnostics since she was buried. Body should not be frozen.
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

I'm surely no expert, nor vet. From what I see in the photos I'd say Avian Lymphoid Leucosis, Fat and Egg Yolk Peritonitis.

I'll tag in @azygous she may be able to give a bit of insight as well.

@Wyorp Rock @MysteryChicken @Eggcessive thank you and rest of everyone for helping me. I will dig her put in the morning, clean her up a bit and post more pictures of her organs, Ive never done this in my life, but following all biosecurity measures and will post some pictures of the results, will refrigerate her after I am done taking pics and inspecting her.

What organs should i inspect and what should I be looking for? What shpuld I do for the rest of the flock in the mean time? Just wait and see?

You won't be able to get a lab necropsy now that you buried her. Too much contamination. They need the specimen fresh and untouched.

You can dig her up and wash her off and inspect the organs. What you will see if this is lymphoid leucosis is an enlarged liver, probably with the same white tumors you saw in the abdominal cavity.

Enlarged liver is the tell-tale indication for LL.

You won't be able to get a lab necropsy now that you buried her. Too much contamination. They need the specimen fresh and untouched.

You can dig her up and wash her off and inspect the organs. What you will see if this is lymphoid leucosis is an enlarged liver, probably with the same white tumors you saw in the abdominal cavity.

Enlarged liver is the tell-tale indication for LL.
Hello everyone again and thank you all for trying to guide me through this…. I dug he up and took more pictures. I dont see those lessions on liver but not sure if liver is enlarged, posting additional pics . Any ideas? @azygous @Eggcessive @MysteryChicken

Attachments

• F043C9BB-123F-4356-9F65-CFDDC763402E.jpeg
    F043C9BB-123F-4356-9F65-CFDDC763402E.jpeg
    656.3 KB · Views: 5
  • EDEADBC1-7AFB-405C-BED6-2EB19D77AAE9.jpeg
    EDEADBC1-7AFB-405C-BED6-2EB19D77AAE9.jpeg
    507.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 61E8D44F-A049-46AF-B8FE-4E2D4E07EB3A.jpeg
    61E8D44F-A049-46AF-B8FE-4E2D4E07EB3A.jpeg
    468.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Back