Hen Pecked

LTucker

Hatching
Sep 1, 2020
I have a total of 6 chickens. 4 of them are 6 months old, 2 of them are 16 weeks old. They have been together for at least a month now after being transitioned. We rescued a broiler chicken (I didn't know what kind she was, she is 6 month olds and has been with the flock since she was just a few weeks of age-I do not intend on eating her). A few weeks ago I noticed she lost some feathers on her back but I never saw aggression from any other hens towards her. It was an area I have seen her reach back and nibble so I thought maybe she was doing it herself, until one day I came out and she was bloodied, VERY BADLY! I took her out of the flock and put her in her own separate area, started treating her and she is healing up wonderfully. Now my 2 younger ones all of a sudden are starting to lose feathers and this morning I saw blood on 2 of them-nothing like the broiler, she was very brutally attacked. I saw only one time another hen peck one of them this morning. Before I left the house I separated them in their own area. My question is, how can I break this type of behavior? The one I saw peck (just once) seems to be maybe bullying my other girls. Is this broody behavior? They have plenty of room in their coop, its 6'X8' with 3 nesting boxes, 2 roosting bars, almost 6' tall, their run is VERY large, almost triple the size of the coop. I believe they have enough room. Please help!

I had a flock of twelve chickens and had an awful bully hen. She nearly killed done of my other hens. I tried everything, but it seems like once they've started they don't stop. I ended up separating each hen with my bullied hen until I figured out which one was the bully. It does keeping her separate for a few weeks and then putting her back to see if it would break the pecking order, but no. I ended up rehoming her for the safety of the other chickens. But she was brutal to the point that the bullied hen wouldn't even leave the house anymore. Maybe if I could've caught it sooner I could've done more but it started while I was on a trip.😟 You might find success with putting tsc Rooster Booster pick-no-more on the affected hens, but my bully was so bad it didn't even phase her. Idk if yours is to that point yet. Hopefully you can figure something out!🤞

I had a flock of twelve chickens and had an awful bully hen. She nearly killed done of my other hens. I tried everything, but it seems like once they've started they don't stop. I ended up separating each hen with my bullied hen until I figured out which one was the bully. It does keeping her separate for a few weeks and then putting her back to see if it would break the pecking order, but no. I ended up rehoming her for the safety of the other chickens. But she was brutal to the point that the bullied hen wouldn't even leave the house anymore. Maybe if I could've caught it sooner I could've done more but it started while I was on a trip.😟 You might find success with putting tsc Rooster Booster pick-no-more on the affected hens, but my bully was so bad it didn't even phase her. Idk if yours is to that point yet. Hopefully you can figure something out!🤞
Thank you! I'm afraid I might have to separate or rehome her. Once the broiler was removed, she just found another victim! I'm so sad! My poor broiler, I thought we were going to lose her. My hens aren't just for eggs (although initially I admit that was the fun of it). I truly love them all and my sweet Nugget almost didn't make it through her attack :(

Perhaps get multiple feeders and waterers so there is plenty to go around and they don’t fight over the food and water?
I have a few waterers, only one feeder. I may try that, although it appears the attacks are mostly occurring either late night/early morning in the coop. I'm usually out there within an hour of sun up to let them out but I thought maybe I need to start getting out there earlier to see if that helps also.

I would cull her (either eat or rehome) in my experience when they get that bad, they don't stop unless they're totally rehome to a new flock or eaten
Thank you for the response. I will try chicken jail for a week which the feed store recommended and if that doesn't work, we may have to consider that option.

How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Aggression is often caused by crowding and/or lack of nutrients.
It can also just become a bad habit of a neurotic bird.
Is the bully one of the older birds?
Are they laying yet?

Back
Top Bottom