Hen poop is clear with speckled black spots

Jayden Owens

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2022
Okay, here's the full story.

I have three 6 year old Americana hens, and one of them has water belly, that has been figured out sometime ago. I've had her drained regularly, but this recent time was the first time I did it myself. I noticed she was kind of sluggish so I figured it was time to drain her again.

Well.. once again it being my first time, I was pretty nervous and skeptical over doing it right, so shamefully I admit I poked her a few times in different spots. I got a little out on my own but that was about it, and then kept her in to watch her and recover from all that poking I did. She leaked quite a lot through the night.

But that following morning she was throwing up (I know chickens can't throw up so please bare with me) and had clear diarrhea. Of course I thought maybe I poked her in the wrong spot and poked a hole in her organs and it was leaking in her intestines or something. Her crop would also become engorged from all the fluid.

That was two days ago and well... she's doing surprisingly fine. She's still sluggish and moves pretty gingerly, but she is still actively eating and drinking, I'm giving her a whole full course meal of her favourite foods like watermelon, sesame seeds, corn and scratch, even some strawberries, and she is still eating pretty well. I keep her inside in her own little comfy box of towels and her food on a stool so she can reach it at her height. When I put her outside with the other two and she has move around on her own.

Her crop still has fluid but it's lessened the pass couple days and I've been helping her by holding her and tilting her forward to allow some of that fluid to drip out on its own and her poop is still fluid filled but has lessened and is slowly getting actual poop mass (if that makes sense). She has no signs of suffocation or lack of oxygen from the fluid or anything.

Well just now her diarrhea had speckled spots of black along with crumbles of regular poop. I suspect the blackness maybe blood in her system or something, and also smells quite awful (the fluid I'm guessing)

I understand that she is dying but currently she is slowly doing better from my clumsy first attempt at draining and I believe she's still got some life left in her. What I'm questioning here is what exactly is in her poop?
16535406244666219674210105706960.jpg

The black specks are probably blood from internal bleeding, likely the liver.

She's probably in liver failure. But the crop fluid may be partially from not having grit. I say partially because liver failure can cause crop slowdown, too.

Give her some grit to eat, a small dish of it so she can regulate how much she consumes. Also, it might be a good idea to replenish her electrolytes after the draining. Give her some in her water for the next 24 hours.

If the grit doesn't rectify the crop issue, she will need miconazole treatment.

Back
Top Bottom