Hen preening people is it a bonding thing?

Turkey parents

Songster
5 Years
Dec 2, 2015
North New Mexico
I haven't been very active for awhile, I've been busy with work and trying to rebuild an old saw mill.

Anyway I have had turkeys steady since 2015, all have been pets including my newest little Bourbon Red Hen. She's my "replacement" for Mars and Neptune. Anyway she has this thing where she preens my arms, hands, legs and feet if I let her. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Is it a bonding ritual of some sort?

I haven't been very active for awhile, I've been busy with work and trying to rebuild an old saw mill.

Anyway I have had turkeys steady since 2015, all have been pets including my newest little Bourbon Red Hen. She's my "replacement" for Mars and Neptune. Anyway she has this thing where she preens my arms, hands, legs and feet if I let her. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Is it a bonding ritual of some sort?
Do you have other chickens?

that's cool! I've had a few interactions along those lines but only if I take the time to slow down and be with the hens, which is not easy for me these days with a busy family. I would consider your self lucky and enjoy the sweetness.

The preening can be a mating thing as when turkey hens preen and trim a tom's beard. It most frequently happens during mating season which it currently is for turkeys in the northern hemisphere.

The preening can be a mating thing as when turkey hens preen and trim a tom's beard. It most frequently happens during mating season which it currently is for turkeys in the northern hemisphere.

She doesn't seem to care I've had her two years now and she will do it anytime I let her mostly in the evening before bed or in the morning but if I'm in short sleeves she'll come do it any time. If my wife let's he her she'll do it to my wife too.

She's the first turkey I've had that wasn't so protective over me my wife couldn't touch me.

Back
Top Bottom