hen prices

like in general i would pay 39-50 for 12 but thats just me
frow.gif

Standard breed laying hens would sell for anywhere from $8 to $25 each depending on their age, breed, etc. in CA.

Chel

A neighbor of mine sold quite a few of her hens last summer and fall for $15.00 each. They went too quickly. She wished that she would have charged $20.00 per hen. The hens were 5-8 months old when she sold them. They were all laying.

Someone called me on the phone today and was asking if I might have some hens I could part with and if not then how about some started pullets.

The whole time I was thinking well I have no clue what a hen is worth and who would I part with...lol. I don't advertise and I don't sell eggs for eating so the phone call took me totally by surprise.

So the timing on this question is great....

Julie
big_smile.png

This really has to do with the area you are in and the demand , where I live its hard to get 7.00 a laying hen, most go for 5 or less, this is even if you have show birds. This area just doesn't really care about that.

I have read posts from other areas of the country where laying hens go from 10-20.00 and show birds or birds from show stock , will even go for more.

I would check my local paper or go to a local stock barn and see what they are going for in your area. I know Indiana is a state with many APA approved shows, which might indicate a larger population that are interested in chickens, which might mean you could get more money for them than most other areas.

Last edited:
I have found the younger the hen is the more value it holds as well. Egg color makes a difference to folks looking for a hen for eating eggs. Hens from 5-18 months old are worth every penny of $20 a piece. Anything over that age is worth less to most. It also depends on what the person wants the hen for (breeding or just eating eggs). If breeding, quality will factor into price.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom