hen pulling feathers

yes luckily they arent like silkies that seemed to always get lice or mitesall the time here. My goats get lice all the time so its easy to find. I am trying sulfur powder on the goats and so far seem to be working. deer always bring the lice in.

so, sad to say the feather picker was found dead in the morning. she ate just fine the night before:( she was my favorite.
- the two other birds still have liquidish poop. i dewormed with valbazen but didnt do the 10 day retreat. should i do that? I did pick up one and her "belly" not sure what its called is slightly more squishy then the younger hens. I didnt get both picked up as they do not like to be picked up and are fast little buggers when they want to be(free ranging) plus i dont feel like getting attacked by a roo since they start squaking if i try to grab them and he tries to protect his ladies like a good boy

so, sad to say the feather picker was found dead in the morning. she ate just fine the night before:( she was my favorite.
- the two other birds still have liquidish poop. i dewormed with valbazen but didnt do the 10 day retreat. should i do that? I did pick up one and her "belly" not sure what its called is slightly more squishy then the younger hens. I didnt get both picked up as they do not like to be picked up and are fast little buggers when they want to be(free ranging) plus i dont feel like getting attacked by a roo since they start squaking if i try to grab them and he tries to protect his ladies like a good boy
I do checks at night with a headlamp. It is so much easier.

I usually don't worry about liquid poop unless they're visibly ill. How much valbazen did you give and how often? It depends on the first round of treatment if you do another one, but if you only treated once, yes you will have to do a second round.

So sorry your special girl passed. Usually I am glad when they go quick because there is no suffering, but it is always sad to lose one that you were close with. ☹️

probably .8ml. i put it in some food but next time i might just grab her and give it too her since she wasnt fond of the food with it. I havent been feeding any extras since i was worried about how they are with normal food but i also might just give a tiny piece of bread with the valbazen on it i bet she would swallow it whole:)

I try the headlamp thing as i get home at dusk but they all try to come out for feed even in the dark so then i have to get them all back on the roost and it takes forever....

So, I think you would want to treat the whole flock, since parasites are spread through flocks easily.

I don't know the dose for Valbazen, but I'm sure if you look it up you could find what the dosage is. I use safe-guard, and you either give it for a number of days in a row, or you do two doses ten days apart. Maybe valbazen is similar?

It also helps to know what parasite you are dealing with, cause some need to be treated differently than the others. Did you see the dewormer make any difference?

Last edited:
thanks for the reply, no it didnt make a difference that i could tell. i have ivermectrin, valbazen, toltrazuril for coccidia. didnt really want to deworm all the others that arent showing anything.
fenbendazole doesnt really help anything over here so never bought it. i do also have moxidectin too

Back
Top Bottom