Hen pulling out her own feathers??!

Jun 27, 2019
My chicken Blanche is a 2 year old GLW. I have been noticing in the past few days she's peen PULLING OUT HER OWN FEATHERS. I even saw her eat a few, I'm not sure it was intentional or not. One of her shoulders has a big bald spot. She is focusing on her shoulders and the side of her body. She's not molting. She's otherwise in good health, recently made a full recovery from egg yolk peritonitis. She eats and drinks still and is very alert. She's still very social. There's no signs of illness besides the fact that she's pulling out her own feathers. She does it all the time, every few minutes. Could this be mites? I looked at her skin and did not see any mites/lice. I have a vet appointment for her next week but want to see if anyone has advice in the meantime. Thanks!

When was her last molt? The area you described is how my GLW started, bald under her wings, patchy wing, bald back top and bottom. This is her current condition.
20211009_101013.jpg

I have a chicken who has been molting since Oct/Nov and has looked like this the entire time:
20211122_104425.jpg
20211122_104651.jpg
She refuses to let her feathers grow back! She has left her big tail feathers. This is her first molt- she didn't molt last year (was maybe only 8 months old). She keeps pulling them out now and won't let them grow back. Any ideas as to how to help? Sometimes she makes herself bleed :( I feel so bad for her. We don't have roosters, and she's been hiding away from all the other hens mostly (almost seems like she's embarrassed, poor thing).

I have a chicken who has been molting since Oct/Nov and has looked like this the entire time: View attachment 3010588View attachment 3010589She refuses to let her feathers grow back! She has left her big tail feathers. This is her first molt- she didn't molt last year (was maybe only 8 months old). She keeps pulling them out now and won't let them grow back. Any ideas as to how to help? Sometimes she makes herself bleed :( I feel so bad for her. We don't have roosters, and she's been hiding away from all the other hens mostly (almost seems like she's embarrassed, poor thing).
I'm so sorry. She does look pitiful. Are you certain that she's doing this to herself? What do you feed them, including treats? Whenever they're like this, they tend to peck at themselves, but I believe most times, they're itchy and reacting to that instead of plucking themselves. I'm sure it's not unheard of but I don't know anything about hens plucking themselves. It takes a lot of watching to see if she's actually plucking her own feathers out or just regular preening. Her flock could be plucking her, which is seen on BYC seldomly. This is usually due to the flock not having enough space, boredom or feeding issues (not getting enough protein). How many birds do you have? How big is your coop, minus the nesting boxes? I'll tag some members that will be more helpful
@3KillerBs @aart @LaFleche

she's been hiding away from all the other hens mostly (
This hints to the other hens as culprits. She might just be trying to preen her painful butt after getting all her feathers plucked off by the others.
Are you certain that she's doing this to herself?
I think @HeatherKellyB is right.

Although sometimes a new pinfeather gets preened away as well, or a broody will pluck some of her belly feathers to bare her chest and prepare the nest, I have never seen a hen that plucked herself naked.

Back
Top Bottom