Hen - purple comb and swollen belly, but eating and not overly lethargic

FuzzyDuck

Chirping
Jul 17, 2021
Hi everyone, another sick hen here. She was sick earlier in the year and bounced back completely, but for the last two weeks she hasn’t been well.

Started as being a bit ruffled and standing away from everyone, and put herself to bed early. So I took her inside to monitor and treat.

Overview of symptoms:
  • Fluid in belly (ascites, I suppose)
  • Comb turning purple
  • Upright/penguin stance
  • Thin - must’ve lost a lot of weight. She wasn’t interest in eating the first couple days, but has since been eating regularly.
  • Originally had some diarrhea, but now that she’s eating again, has regular poops.
  • On top of this, I’ve noticed she has some lice, unfortunately.

I’ve been giving her tetracycline as well as some electrolyte mix for her water. We have also tried draining some of the fluid from her belly, though I haven’t wanted to take too much at a time.

It’s clear she’s not well (her comb is more purple each day) and I understand that ascites is a symptom of an underlying condition. I don’t want to drag it out, however because she’s eating happily and often alert, I don’t feel ready to put her down, though we will when the time comes. But does anyone have suggestions on other steps I could take to help her be more comfortable? Any medications or vitamins to support the heart? I’d read some folks use milk thistle with ascites, any luck with that?

Thank you. ❤️

If she's getting worse every day, I'm not sure there's much you can do. I understand its hard to put down an animal. when I have to put an animal down that's obviously not going to get better, I have to tell my myself that's it's completely irrelevant how I feel or if I'm ready to lose it. It's in my care, already suffering/dying, I dont want to wait until it's mostly dead and miserable.

If she's getting worse every day, I'm not sure there's much you can do. I understand its hard to put down an animal. when I have to put an animal down that's obviously not going to get better, I have to tell my myself that's it's completely irrelevant how I feel or if I'm ready to lose it. It's in my care, already suffering/dying, I dont want to wait until it's mostly dead and miserable.
Yes, I agree. I think it’s that she isn’t clearly getting worse at this stage that is making me hesitate. I do not want to drag it out and have her suffer, so I appreciate your perspective.

Do you have a picture of her? How old is she? Has she laid eggs recently? What color was the ascites fluid that you drained? Many times they will continue to leak fluid for a few hours after draining? Is her crop emptying overnight? Crop problems can sometimes occur when there is a lot of pressure inside the belly. I would try feeding her the usual chicken feed, and you can moisten some of it with water, and give her some treats of scrambled egg, tuna, ground meat or canned cat food. Most chickens like those. When she quits eating, or the other chickens start pecking at her, then that might be a time to separate her and consider putting her down.

Do you have a picture of her? How old is she? Has she laid eggs recently? What color was the ascites fluid that you drained? Many times they will continue to leak fluid for a few hours after draining? Is her crop emptying overnight? Crop problems can sometimes occur when there is a lot of pressure inside the belly. I would try feeding her the usual chicken feed, and you can moisten some of it with water, and give her some treats of scrambled egg, tuna, ground meat or canned cat food. Most chickens like those. When she quits eating, or the other chickens start pecking at her, then that might be a time to separate her and consider putting her down.
I don’t know her age, at least a few years old. She hasn’t laid at least since I brought her inside. The fluid was an amber sort of colour. Her crop wasn’t draining initially, but after a few days it started to and she seems to be digesting things normally overnight now. I’m still mostly keeping her inside, but have brought her outside a bit and she pecks around. She’s a bit unsteady, though.

That makes sense. And it very well may be she’s too far gone. Just when she’s eating and happy to walk around, it’s hard to say it’s definitely time…

I attached a photo - you can see the state of her comb.

Attachments

• F8479076-94E3-4A70-9399-AC07BDB652F6.jpeg
    F8479076-94E3-4A70-9399-AC07BDB652F6.jpeg
    984.7 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom