Hen raising Chicks

coupe-d-lux

Chirping
Jun 22, 2015
So the question is, should I let my hen sit and hatch the egg, or remove it and use an incubator. I'm pretty sure she is sitting on more than one egg. The other eggs are from different hens. Is that ok? My 5 hens use the same nest, will the others move to another nest? Today is Oct. 22nd and she has been sitting for only one day..since the 21st. If I take away the eggs, will she go broody or what can I expect ? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Don't give her eggs to hatch until she has been on the nest day and night for about 3 days. Then, if you want her to hatch eggs, give her all the eggs you want her to hatch all at once, no more eggs than she can comfortably cover. Ideally, you should move her to her own private space within the coop, give her some dummy eggs, and then, 3 days later, if she sets day and night, pull those eggs, and give her the hatching eggs. Your other hens will try to lay in her nest, and may drive her out. The ensuing arguments may cause eggs to get broken. That's why she needs her own space. Mark her eggs, so that if others get added, you'll know which ones to remove.

Thanks for the information
Ok, more questions: I've been thinking of separating the nesting hen from the others by dividing the house which would make it about 3.5ft by 7 ft. Does that sound ok. Then should I move the hen/nest to the floor, because it is now about 30" above the floor. After the chicks hatch, does the momma hen take care of them (provide warmth during the cold weather) or should I move/isolate them into a separate enclosure? This might sound like basic stuff, but I've never been down this path before. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom