hen raising chicks

Very new to the broody side, but from what I have heard. It depends on Mama. If she will protect the chicks then you are all set, if not Im not sure how long to seperate. Im sure someone with more exper. will chime in!

I am wondering how long to keep mam with chicks as well. Mine is so unbelievable viciously protective of her new baby and I want to be able to get to it and start imprinting it with me. I want her to raise it as well, so I'm a a bit of a conundrum.

I keep my hen and chicks in a segregated coop/run for two weeks after hatch. I then open the run during the day and they can free range with the flock. Mother usually keeps them separated. Usually between six and eight weeks, mother introduces the kids to the flock and shortly there after they all move into the big house. They do this on their own schedule. Mom usually protects them for a week or so after moving into the big house. I have had very few problems with this practice.

I use the same method and time frame as Spartacus, except mine are integrated while they are free ranging, which allows mom to protect them a little better than in a coop and run. The first day she will keep them close and be real testy when other hens approach...I usually supervise the first day or so, keeping an eye on things.

My broody pen is situated so that the flock can view and hear the family but cannot contact during the first few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom