Hen Randomly Passed Away

Cleetus777

Tender of Chicken
Feb 2, 2021
Slidell, LA
Hello all,

This morning I had one of hens pass away. It had to have happened early this morning as I checked on all of them late last night. There are no signs of a predator, she was eating fine (in fact she was first to eat), drinking water fine, walking around and scratching, roosted fine last night. I have no idea as to why she would've died. She seemed like a normal, happy and healthy bird. She hadn't laid an egg yet like the rest of the flock but I just assumed she was a late bloomer. If anyone could give me any ideas that would be amazing.

If you asked your state poultry vet to perform a necropsy, they may give you a cause of death. That would be the only way to know for sure. Occasionally people lose young pullets near the point of laying from heart or other organ failure. Some of us do our own necropsies and have a look at the abdominal organs, taking pictures to post here for any unusual findings. Sorry for your loss.

If you asked your state poultry vet to perform a necropsy, they may give you a cause of death. That would be the only way to know for sure. Occasionally people lose young pullets near the point of laying from heart or other organ failure. Some of us do our own necropsies and have a look at the abdominal organs, taking pictures to post here for any unusual findings. Sorry for your loss.
I couldn't possibly do my own. Idk if I have a vet near me that will do one either.

Back
Top Bottom