hen refusing to get out of the laying box and cone is floppy

I read up about the wire box but seems a little mean hopefully she will just snap out of it as neighbours wont be happy if I end ip with a rooster! Thanks for all thehelp was just worried as shes not taken two days off before and her ccrownis usually fuller
It is dangerous to leave a hen broody(unless she is hatching eggs)when broody,hens do not look after themselves,and can become malnourished. The suggestion of the broody cage is correct. Broodiness is tied to elevated body temp,the purpose of the cage(with wire bottom)is to have air circulate on their breast and underneath them,to cool them down. It is not mean and will stop the broody behavior. I have silkies which are notoriously broody,i use the broody cage technique. The longer a hen is left broody,the longer it will take to break her.

It says to not feed them while in the broody cage this is what put me off the most as I dont want to starve her. She is awfuly hot tho. My other light sussex went broody but snapped out of it when she realised I woulsnt let her stay in the box. Luckily my speckled sussex hssnt yet gone through the broody stage

It says to not feed them while in the broody cage this is what put me off the most as I dont want to starve her. She is awfuly hot tho. My other light sussex went broody but snapped out of it when she realised I woulsnt let her stay in the box. Luckily my speckled sussex hssnt yet gone through the broody stage
Not sure where you read that,but it is incorrect and dangerous information,they have to have food and water.

It was on another forum and totally put me off doing it but if she can eat and drink then il give it a try. How long would u say to leave her in there?

It was on another forum and totally put me off doing it but if she can eat and drink then il give it a try. How long would u say to leave her in there?
You need a cage with a wire bottom,give her food/water,keep her some place where she can see light. Broody hens love the dark,you want to do the opposite of what she wants. Length of time depends on how long she has been broody. Keep her in the broody cage for a couple of day,let her out,if she runs back to her nest she is still broody,back to the broody breaker. When she is finished being broody she will resume normal chicken stuff,scratching,dust bathing,etc.and will not run back to her nest.

I compare a broody hen to a female cat in heat,both grumpy and difficult.

Last edited:
Will make her one. Thank you for your advise. Has only been 3days of acring this way so hopefully wont take lonfer than that then to go back to normal shes usually really cuddly and friendly is stramge to see her so grumpy!

Back
Top Bottom