Hen rejected by flock

eelykay

Hatching
Jun 7, 2022
Hi! I recently rescued a chicken from a coworker who was attacked by her flock. She had a horrible wound on the back of her head but pulled through and is healed up now. I wanted to try to slowly reintroduce her to the flock but my coworker doesn't want her back. She is the sweetest thing, she likes to perch on my shoulder while I'm gardening. She seems to have some sort of neurological condition that affects her walking. She rarely walks, and when she does, she kind of steps on her own feet. When she got attacked, she would just lay down and let them peck her to death. When she's scared she just freezes in place. I guess I am just wondering what to do next. I imagine she'll get lonely being all by herself, but I don't know if/how to add another chicken to my flock so I at least have 2. If that's the case, do I bring in a chick or a grown hen? Also, she seems to be in her 'teenage' years so she's not producing yet.
Thanks in advance for your help!

She may have Mareks by the sound of the symptoms, and her age.

Chickens will often attack a sick or unwell acting bird to either kill it or drive it out of the flock. I might wait and see before adding any other birds.

If she's still going in another month or two adding chicks would be safer, but there's always a risk when a chicken has a disability, and if she has mareks she could pass it to the new birds.

You could try giving her a mirror in the meantime. She may enjoy seeing her reflection.

Chickens will often attack a sick or unwell acting bird to either kill it or drive it out of the flock. I might wait and see before adding any other birds.

If she's still going in another month or two adding chicks would be safer, but there's always a risk when a chicken has a disability, and if she has mareks she could pass it to the new birds.

You could try giving her a mirror in the meantime. She may enjoy seeing her reflection.
Oh darn, it sounds like it could be Marek's. However, I can't find any lumps or bumps (although I know they can be hidden inside). My coworker said that when she got attacked, she thought she saw her brain. I'm wondering if it could be brain damage from that.

Oh darn, it sounds like it could be Marek's. However, I can't find any lumps or bumps (although I know they can be hidden inside). My coworker said that when she got attacked, she thought she saw her brain. I'm wondering if it could be brain damage from that.
Getting pecked in the head can cause brain damage. If that's what it is she probably will still be around in a month or so. Most birds with mareks succumb to it. So give her time and see if she improves or worsens. If she survives she still will need extra care from you and is always at risk for bullying. Time will tell. Hopefully she improves.

I doubt that her brain was exposed, but I've had some experience with head injuries and it does look pretty gruesome. Brain damage is still a possibility though. I hope she does ok!

I'm glad you caught on with the possible Marek's disease. My mind went to ways of flock integration but you were spot-on with the age and symptoms. If the new birds she were to get were vaccinated against Marek's, would that be an option in your opinion?

The vaccine keeps birds from showing symptoms, and usually from dying from it. Mareks is a complex disease. There's many strains that cause different symptoms. I believe the vaccine covers the main strains and should work to protect most birds, but on occasion some do still die from it despite being vaccinated. They also can still be carriers. There's a big long thread on it. Let me see if I can find it.

The vaccine keeps birds from showing symptoms, and usually from dying from it. Mareks is a complex disease. There's many strains that cause different symptoms. I believe the vaccine covers the main strains and should work to protect most birds, but on occasion some do still die from it despite being vaccinated. They also can still be carriers. There's a big long thread on it. Let me see if I can find it.
Thank you! I've thankfully never had a bird with it to my knowledge, but it scares the heck out of me.

I've had Mareks in my flock. We cull symptomatic birds. Haven't seen one show symptoms in a few years thankfully. I think it depends on the strain and the immune system of the birds. It's a viral cancer that does different things to different birds.

Back
Top Bottom