Hen? Roo? I don't even know anymore! Please help! freaking out!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sillychicks123, Sep 29, 2013.

1. sillychicks123

sillychicks123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    I have four chickens, two bantam polish, one silkie, and one who I think is a mix between a Japanese bantam and an English game bird maybe. Anyways, I used to have three polish before I got my mix chicken, but he turned out to be a Roo, and I'm not allowed to keep Roo's where I live, so I had to re-home him about a month and a half ago, maybe two months. My chickens are now about to be 18 weeks old, and one of my other silver laced polish is starting to crow loudly in the morning. And its not one little croak, it's a series of loud, full on Rooster crows. But its strange because she looks nothing like my other one that was a Roo. She isn't the dominate hen either (If she IS a hen that is). Also, shouldn't she have started crowing earlier if she actually was a Roo? (like my other one) She has no spur development yet either, and looks a lot similar to my other polish hen, who is a buff. If she is a hen, then any answers/guesses as to why she is crowing so much in the morning?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here's some Pics of the Lovely Lady (hopefully) herself! Please help me! I'm not allowed to have Roosters where I live and I certainly don't want to have to give up ANOTHER one of my babies![​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would have to guess rooster. Those crest feathers are pointy, and I might see some hackle and saddle feathers. Also, the wattles look pretty red. Pretty bird! Sorry you can't keep him!

3. tatertot

tatertot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    I couldn't tell you...that is one awesomely wild looking bird

4. sillychicks123

Jun 11, 2013
    Thank you, I also have one that looks similar to to him/her, but is a buff and hasn't really crowed yet, but she also has some red on her face too. Any guesses on her?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    The head is harder to tell but if you look near his tail, those long skinny feathers that make up the saddle - My guess strong that you have a roo. Beautiful roo but a roo.

If he does not crow soon I could be wrong but I would bet money it is a roo.

Caroline

6. sillychicks123

Jun 11, 2013
    That was what I was dreading to hear
    [​IMG] Thank you for your help though, I already have a wonderful home picked out for them where my other Roo is, and they can all live together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by