Hen runs backwards when roo tries to breed?

kaylee gee

Songster
9 Years
Jul 5, 2012
Connecticut
I got some random chickens to quickly bring birds on the property to be sure my LGD grows up used to them. Worked like a charm and her little guardian heart is so happy!

20210622_110911.jpg

On to the strange behavior. The two hens are different breeds, but both are 4 months old. The rooster is 1 year old. When he attempts to breed one of the hens, she squawks, puts her head almost on the ground, then RUNS backwards until she hits something.

I have never seen any hens do this before. Is she okay? She's fine otherwise, even if not very bright lol I Googled it and I keep seeing posts about neurological problems :(

I got some random chickens to quickly bring birds on the property to be sure my LGD grows up used to them. Worked like a charm and her little guardian heart is so happy!

View attachment 2731240

On to the strange behavior. The two hens are different breeds, but both are 4 months old. The rooster is 1 year old. When he attempts to breed one of the hens, she squawks, puts her head almost on the ground, then RUNS backwards until she hits something.

I have never seen any hens do this before. Is she okay? She's fine otherwise, even if not very bright lol I Googled it and I keep seeing posts about neurological problems :(
I would love to see a video of this!

an hour and a half of video and all the rooster wants to do is preen XD Yanny did chase away a bird from the feeder though hahaha

---------
Until I can get it on video myself, it's similar to this but not nearly as often.

Last edited:
an hour and a half of video and all the rooster wants to do is preen XD Yanny did chase away a bird from the feeder though hahaha

---------
Until I can get it on video myself, it's similar to this but not nearly as often.
That’s so funny! She has way better moves than me…. I would fall on my face and I’m an athlete, body builder and mountain climber. That’s amazing!

Back
Top Bottom