1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen(s) making strange noise.............

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fdehaven, Oct 17, 2010.

1. fdehaven

fdehaven Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Woodland, PA
    I was watching my ladies via closed circute tv and heard a strange noise coming from one of the hens.
    It sounded like snoring / purring. Is this normal? I am so confused as to some of the noises they make.
    It has just started to get cold here and I want to make sure that they are not in distress. They have a
    nice coop to live in (so I think). And I'm not sure if why they are making this noise.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's normal. Usually when I hear someone in my adult flock purring (or growling, low) it's a warning that something is amiss, but not always.

3. scarletbaby

scarletbaby Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    My little ladies purr when they get settled in for the night and my roo gets down low and growls to one of my hens cause she is in egg labor. It's all normal chicken talk.

4. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine growl when they are in a nesting box and someone approaches or when they see/hear something they sound the alert and all heads go up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by