Hen saddles question...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by camochick96, Mar 13, 2018.

1. camochick96

camochick96 Songster

Apr 27, 2017
    North TX
    I have a roo and he’s picked a couple hens as his favorites so I was looking into getting hen saddles for them. My question is how do they use their oil gland when wearing a hen saddle? Can they get to it to preen themselves? Where is the best place to buy them from? And has anyone had success with using them?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    A hen cannot preen efficiently or dust bath wearing them, so external parasites can get out of control under them.

I personally would remove the rooster unless you need him for breeding, even if temporary. Breeding will peak in spring, than get a bit less during the heat of summer.

You will also need to worry about your hens over heating living in Texas and them wearing saddles, so keep that in mind.

I do sometimes get a few bare backed hens as well. They do okay. As long as there's no wounds they will get a bit red during summer but be fine, and will grow back their feathers during the fall molt.

camochick96 likes this.
  3. camochick96

camochick96 Songster

Apr 27, 2017
    North TX
    Thank you! I’m keeping him and hoping to hatch a few eggs from them! I have noticed he leaves them alone more when I free range them so I might try doing that more. I didn’t think they’d be able to preen properly with the saddles, but I’d seen where a lot of people use them. Thanks for the information!

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: