Rooster bullying two hens after they wore saddles

jillianjo

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 17, 2016
I have a flock of 12 chickens. There are 2 Buff Orpingtons who are the youngest of the flock (about a year old) but don’t generally get bullied. They tend to be the new favorites of our rooster so they had quite a lot of broken wing and back feathers. We put some saddles on them and there was a bit of the initial scuffles while everyone got used to the saddles, but they seemed to calm down after a few hours. We’ve used saddles before and our rooster hates them at first but seems to ignore them after a day or so.

Well this time after a couple days he’s suddenly had it out for them. He chases them all over their free range area, and if he catches one he basically pecks at her until she’s laying down and looks like she’s basically playing dead. They started hiding from him anywhere they could.

After a day or so of that, we were like ok fine, we’ll take the saddles off, he obviously has an issue with them. Nope, he’s still picking on them, still chasing them all over until they yield to him and even still pecking them while they’re down. It’s also worth noting we have another hen who’s wearing a saddle who he has no issues with. They also aren’t being bullied by any of the other hens, just the rooster.

We ended up separating the two bullied ones into their own little pen. The rooster still walks by them like he wants to get at them and of course they get terrified. We’ve tried letting them out a couple times but they just hide and he chases them if he finds them. One of them still has her saddle on but the rooster is usually more focused on the one who no longer has a saddle.

Throughout all of this, the two hens have been acting so weird. They’re obviously stressed and act cowed when the rooster gets to them, but the rest of the time they are hugely poofed up, making angry clucking noises similar to how a broody hen sounds. But they aren’t trying to sit on any nest and aren’t laying any eggs. They have always been friendly lap chickens with me so they still run to me when I go out there, but they just walk around me all puffed up and clucking. They let me pick them up and hold them and then they seem fine.

As for the rooster, he’s a little over 3 years old and he isn’t particularly aggressive with us or with the other hens. He hates our shoes lol (seriously, bare feet are fine, shoes make him so mad), but he lets us pick him up and hold him and will take naps in our arms.

Any suggestions on what to do? Do I just keep them separated until he forgets his vendetta? I feel bad for the hens because the pen area isn’t very big, but it was getting to the point where he was pecking them on the head till they bled so I knew something had to be done.

Last edited:
I have a flock of 12 chickens. There are 2 Buff Orpingtons who are the youngest of the flock (about a year old) but don’t generally get bullied. They tend to be the new favorites of our rooster so they had quite a lot of broken wing and back feathers. We put some saddles on them and there was a bit of the initial scuffles while everyone got used to the saddles, but they seemed to calm down after a few hours. We’ve used saddles before and our rooster hates them at first but seems to ignore them after a day or so.

Well this time after a couple days he’s suddenly had it out for them. He chases them all over their free range area, and if he catches one he basically pecks at her until she’s laying down and looks like she’s basically playing dead. They started hiding from him anywhere they could.

After a day or so of that, we were like ok fine, we’ll take the saddles off, he obviously has an issue with them. Nope, he’s still picking on them, still chasing them all over until they yield to him and even still pecking them while they’re down. It’s also worth noting we have another hen who’s wearing a saddle who he has no issues with. They also aren’t being bullied by any of the other hens, just the rooster.

We ended up separating the two bullied ones into their own little pen. The rooster still walks by them like he wants to get at them and of course they get terrified. We’ve tried letting them out a couple times but they just hide and he chases them if he finds them. One of them still has her saddle on but the rooster is usually more focused on the one who no longer has a saddle.

Throughout all of this, the two hens have been acting so weird. They’re obviously stressed and act cowed when the rooster gets to them, but the rest of the time they are hugely poofed up, making angry clucking noises similar to how a broody hen sounds. But they aren’t trying to sit on any nest and aren’t laying any eggs. They have always been friendly lap chickens with me so they still run to me when I go out there, but they just walk around me all puffed up and clucking. They let me pick them up and hold them and then they seem fine.

As for the rooster, he’s a little over 3 years old and he isn’t particularly aggressive with us or with the other hens. He hates our shoes lol (seriously, bare feet are fine, shoes make him so mad), but he lets us pick him up and hold him and will take naps in our arms.

Any suggestions on what to do? Do I just keep them separated until he forgets his vendetta? I feel bad for the hens because the pen area isn’t very big, but it was getting to the point where he was pecking them on the head till they bled so I knew something had to be done.
I can't stand to see any animal get bullied, especially my hens. If he were mine, I'd put him in the pot for stew. Is it worth it to watch your poor hens get treated like that and be traumatized to the point of not laying?
We had two roosters years ago, one was a perfect gent with the ladies and sweet to people, the other was the opposite. The mean one decided he was after the sweet guy and that was to end him. This was not a hard decision for us. And by the way, he was tough as nails. My daughter at the table said "this is that mean rooster isn't it".
My chickens now, years later turned out as hoped. I got pullets they said 90% accuracy. We got all pullets. I am delighted.

Do not let those hens suffer any more. I’m not saying to kill him , but definitely separate him or your hens will die. They are innocent and definitely don’t deserve to be beat up by him.

Back
Top Bottom